Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) One guinea pig...

pigslave1

Cavy Slave
I have one guinea pig and I am worried, because everyone says I should get another. I give him a LOT of attention, but I'm a little worried. If I get another one, I will be more attached to the one I have now. It's also not on my budget. My pig is lazy, because he's always been that way. He is also very large - he is fat, but his skeletal system is large, too. I also, don't have enough room for another. Help!

pigslave1

Cavy Slave
I have a proper sized cage. I have a Midwest cage, the only pet store cage that meets standards.

dearpokey

Cavy Slave
When I was young and I had my first GP we never thought to get another one. He did just fine by himself but that is because we all loved on him and gave him plenty of people time every day. I have 3 now and wouldn't go back to just 1 but that shouldn't pressure you into getting another one. You and you alone will figure out what works best for you and your situation. Good luck

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yes he/she would benefit from a cage mate but if its not in your budget than don't cause that wouldn't be fare to you or the new pig if you can't properly care for another. But a good way to look at is taking the alian abduction approach. You take a guinea pig away from other guinea pigs and put him in a cage alone with no one that speaks his language. I don't know about you but being little like a guinea pig sounds like a scary thought.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
A lot of information out there has changed over the years but this should be your decision.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
A Midwest cage isn't big enough for a pair of newly introduced males. I recommend making a large C&C Cage, and getting him a buddy.

It doesn't matter if you don't bond to the new one like you have to your original one. The companion is for your pig, not for you.

dearpokey

Cavy Slave
A Midwest cage isn't big enough for a pair of newly introduced males. I recommend making a large C&C Cage, and getting him a buddy.

It doesn't matter if you don't bond to the new one like you have to your original one. The companion is for your pig, not for you.

There is something disturbing to me about your last sentence. I would never consider getting any animal and not consider it my companion

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can consider it your companion if you want. But guinea pigs need others of their own kind, and they're far more interested in the companionship of another guinea pig than of a person. Unless the person has a plate of food, of course. :) Don't fool yourself into thinking that you're more important to the social life of the guinea pig than another guinea pig is.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I look at my pigs as my companions but I would never take that as good enough for them. They still do benefit from company of their own kind. I've had both a guinea that lived alone and a pair of pigs comparing the two I'd say with a companion of their own kind they are happier. I love watching the guinea pigs interact with one another.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.