Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Possible Bumblefoot?

kittygrl97

Cavy Slave
I picked up my 8 month old guinea pig today to trim her claws (which I've unfortunately been neglecting, however I don't think that has to do with this problem, as they're not terribly overgrown). As I was clipping the claws on her front foot, she was struggling as usual, but I flipped over her foot in the process of trying to get her to hold still (blanket and soft music helps, but doesn't solve the problem completely). I noticed some greenish patches on the pad of her front-left foot. Same on the front-right, but not as big. It's not on her back feet. I Google Imaged Bumblefoot, as I've heard a little bit about it and know it can be really painful for a guinea pig. It doesn't quite look the same, though. I picked at the green spots a bit thinking it was just dirt, but she didn't seem to like that, and it didn't come off after gentle picking, so I left it alone and put her back in her cage to make this post. What is it? What can I do about it?

IMG_2649.jpg
Front-left foot

IMG_2653.jpg
Front-right foot (I turned the flash on so this one has better lighting ^^")

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#spurs

They look like the beginning of spurs to me. It seems to be completely random as to how pigs form them. One out of my four sows will grow spurs on her front feet and I just be sure to keep them short and trimmed. They don't bother her at all and have never caused any issues so I don't worry about them.

kittygrl97

Cavy Slave
So if they are spurs, I can just cut them? Like, I can cut the discolored part off (not too close to her pink skin), and it won't hurt her?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Yes, you just cut them as close to the pink bit as you feel comfortable to keep them short, this make sure they wont get caught on anything and tear off. My pigs don't like their feet being manipulated so I can get a good angle to cut their spurs, but other then that it is just like cutting a nail, it wont hurt them at all so long as you don't cut it too close.

kittygrl97

Cavy Slave
Alright, thank you so much for replying!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.