Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight need something to help my guinea pig gain weight

CavyLover88

Cavy Slave
So long story short Kirby came down with a lower respiratory infection is and is on antibiotics for 10 days so my vet told me to find something high in calories to help him gain weight...any ideas...I was thinking maybe oat hay but would that work?? Anything is helpful.:)

Oxbow critical care.

Make sure you're giving him a probiotic while he's on the antibiotic so he doesn't develop bloat.

It may take a while. Guinea pigs lose quickly but gain slowly (hmmm -- how do I manage that?). I'd just give him his regular food and not particularly worry about making him gain unless he's lost a lot of weight during this illness. But do add a probiotic -- that will help his digestion since he's on an antibiotic.

what kind of probiotics do you suggest..would Natural Science - Immune Support work?

Last edited:
I will be ordering oxbow critical care today. Thank you for your answers ;)

Many people use Bene Bac. I usually use one of my human acidophilus capsules and mix it with the Critical Care.

Unlimited pellets will fatten him up.

Unlimited pellets will fatten him up.

And if he's over six months old, they'll load his system up with too much calcium and possibly induce bladder stones. He'd be better off underweight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.