Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Unique Guinea Pig Habits

Piya and Buddy

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! I was just wondering what are some of your guinea pigs' unique habits?

My Buddy purrs whenever the doorbell rings, which I think is so cute! Also, when I put a towel over Buddy, she finds a way out, then goes back in and doesn't come out unless I take her out! It's so cute! She loves to hide. Also, Buddy loves it when I rub her neck (as in underneath her mouth). When I stop rubbing, she keeps her head up to show that she doesn't want me to stop.

What unique and cute habits that your guinea pig has?

Piya

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
The purring is most likely fear or annoyance, my pigs do it when my boyfriend sneezes, the phone rings or when I'm upset.

One of my girls was a musical piggy prodigy from the very start. She will click her teeth repeatedly against food bowls & plates for hours on end to create a nice ringing noise, you can really see how much she enjoys playing & the noise she produces. ^^

Piya and Buddy

Cavy Slave
The purring is most likely fear or annoyance, my pigs do it when my boyfriend sneezes, the phone rings or when I'm upset.

One of my girls was a musical piggy prodigy from the very start. She will click her teeth repeatedly against food bowls & plates for hours on end to create a nice ringing noise, you can really see how much she enjoys playing & the noise she produces. ^^

That's really interesting! I would love a picture of your cavy!

Also, there are different types of purrs, if you searched online you could find out what different types of purrs mean. I think your guinea pig was growling or giving short purrs.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Most pigs will make a purring sound after a loud noise because it startles them. So, not exactly unique, I'm afraid.

My pigs have learned to rattle their cage by chewing on the bars to summon food. Not only that, the new pigs, who previously did not do this, have picked up this habit so any time I am anywhere near the kitchen, I have four pigs chewing on their bars to alert me that in the 10 seconds that I have been awake, I have yet to feed them LOL

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have one that used to pick up her plastic food dish and carry it around the cage. Most of mine are seniors now but I have one that's under 2. She always tries to get her companion to play by doing laps around the cage and running into her. She stops and waits for a reaction. Of course, the other one never budges but the young one keeps trying. Three of mine do counter clockwise circles when I tell them to do their trick. One does it without command when she wants a snack.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
This isn't really unique as I have seen other piggies do it but mine will stand up on her hind legs when she begs for food, she will also do it when im filling up her hay rack and hand feeding her.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The only "unique" thing my girls do (which isn't very unique at all, but very cute), is when they rearrange their furniture after a full cage change. They only move things round by a few cm here and there, but enough that I can tell they did it deliberately. It makes me laugh because Minnie looks at her snuggle sack like "you human fool you have displeased your queen, this shall be moved post-haste forthwith!" and then she nudges in forward by a few cm lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.