Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puberty Splinter is FINALLY Getting Neutered - Splinter's Thread

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm glad it went well! He should be given unlimited hay and his regular veggies and pellets. If he stops eating then there's a problem.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Maybe make sure you pile his food around him so he can get to it so he won't have to move so much.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't hold him for a while, except to gently pick him up and make sure his wound is clean, with no redness, heat, swelling, or odor. All those are signs of infection, and he'll need to go back to the vet ASAP.

Do feed him immediately, or at least put food close to him so he can eat. This is not a time to follow a strict diet, so give him whatever he likes to eat, except don't overload his system with sugar. If he isn't eating on his own, then handfeed him. If he isn't eating at all after 6-8 hours, you'll need to force feed him.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, do you know if I'll need to clean the wound at all? Should I wash his breeding daily instead of twice a week like I do (plus I spot clean). He's going to be in a pet store cage throughout his recovery to minimize his chances of upsetting the incision and those get dirty a lot more quickly.

Thanks guys for everyone's advice!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The vet should give you instructions on cleaning. I didn't have to do anything to Flourish when she had her stone removed except just check daily for several days.

And no, I wouldn't do a regular bum clean-out for several days. You just mainly don't want the wound to get infected.

The pet store cages do get messy in a hurry, so you'll just have to clean more often. I just cut several pieces of light-colored fleece for Flourish, and put a new one in twice a day.

If you've got room, you should put the pet store cage inside the other cage so the pigs can see and smell each other. Even with that, you'll have to do full introductions when you put them back together, but it shouldn't be as difficult as first-time intros.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc, lol I'm interested in seeing if his libido goes away too because right now he wants the girls like crazy lol. They year him and stand up to lick him through the grid holes lol.

The doctors have me some pain medicine given once daily for the next 5 days and they did use glue. I put him in his cage... well I let him walk out on his own from his cuddle sack and he began rating hay immediately. In the car I have him some bell pepper and he ate half of a quarter pepper. In the car for most of the ride he seemed drowsy and then when we were almost home I penned his little carrier and he'd moved a lot. When I put him in his cage and heard the girls he was quietly squeaking back. I think he's going to do wonderful! I'm so so happy he's OK.

The very said he'd be OK going to the girls a week after surgery... But I've heard 4 weeks hear. What's up with that?

Here's a pic of splinter post op in his cuddle tunnel.

Splinter is FINALLY Getting Neutered - Splinter's Thread

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Heavens! Don't put him in with the girls after a week! I know people say four weeks, and that's longer than is necessary, but seven days isn't long enough. With dogs, it takes up to 14 days. I can't find a reference for guinea pigs.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Lol, don't worry, I'm not going to. I heard that about dogs too and thought eh, I don't want to risk it.... defeats the purpose of the operation lol. I'm thinking 3-4 weeks we should be good yeah?

On another note, splinter is eating, just not as much, but it didn't seem he's drinking... Should I be worried or give him more time? Also, he's had a couple weird poops since he's been home.... Just s couple.... Normal or no?

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
He's doing great! He's moving around, eating his hay and veggies...a little bit of pellets but that's normal for him. He is drinking but not like he used to and sometimes his poop is connected and thin looking and sometimes they look normal... is this normal after an operation like this?

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
When can I start picking him up for lap time?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I was instructed to pick Ferb up starting the day after, I had to check his incision twice a day for infection and look his genital area over for abscesses. He didn't seem to mind, he was still on metacam for pain and antibiotics to prevent abscesses/infections.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
OK, I'll wait a couple more days. Le sigh. :( I have no children but usually Splinter is trying to explore before he settles to cuddle so it probably would be better to wait. Thanks!

I just wanna let him know I'm sorry I took his manhood and that I still love him, lol.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Just check the incision and have him his medicine and at first couldn't even find the wound, lol! Plus where his testicles were they weren't as deflated looking as I thought they would be so I was thinking "did they even take them, lol? ". His wound is so tiny and clean looking (yay!), so I'm real happy! They did such ab awesome job! I'm practically bubbling over with excitement for him to meet the gals in 4 weeks!

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah. The whole drive and when my husband held him before we gave him to the vets he was telling him how he wouldn't wanna be in his position LMAO

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Zombie Queen, I believe impaction can be quite a common side effect of being neutered, so I'd keep an eye on those packed-together poops. I'm so glad Splinter got through the op A-OK though!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
That's actually pretty hilarious poor little piggy lost his man hood lol. :D

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Quick update on Splinter:

His poop is looking normal now and he's driving regularly! He's easing his veggies, pellets and hay with vigor AND he's staying popcorning! I check his incision twice daily and clean his cage twice daily.

Question though...this morning I checked his incision and where it used to look like just a thin line, it now STILL looks like a thin line but with the tiniest bit of dried blood. It's not on his fleece and the area is not hot, red, and I checked for any abcesses and didn't feel anything. Is the tiny spot of blood normal? Like I said it's Tony and steal looks clean (no puss or anything).

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
I just happened to look at my last post and omg I hate auto correct. Let me try to make this a little easier to read, lol.

*Not driving but drinking
*not easing but eating
*not staying but starting
*not Tony but tiny
*not steal but still

Grr sorry about that

DawnM

Cavy Slave
OMG auto correct at its best lol

MamaP

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking "wow, he's driving already. He is REALLY doing great after surgery! lol
Seriously though, glad he is well. If it doesn't look infected and it's not continuously bleeding I think it's probably ok.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.