Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Recycled Paper Yesterday's News or Fresh News?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Can someone please jog my memory, is it Fresh News cat litter (paper pellets?) or Yesterday's News cat litter (unscented non-clumping) that works best for a gp cage? I want to try something other than carefresh, it sticks to everything and is still dusty enough that I think it's making Ferb sneeze (he's been to his regular exotics vet twice for it, not a URI).

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
I've used Yesterday's news unscented paper pellet litter.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I've used Yesterday's News and really like it but it's just too expensive now.

Either are acceptable though!

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I've used Yesterday's News also and like it fine. Worked well, wasn't dusty. The only thing I didn't like was the price. I think I paid about $17 for a big bag at my local Meijer (big box/grocery). I was using it in my kitchen (when I had one) and litter pans. The rest of my cage is fleece & UHaul.

Currently I'm using wood pellets in my litter pans. Honestly it works equally as well as Yesterday's News. It's just so much cheaper! My pig Randy has no problems with it. I do have to scoop out the peed on spots every-other day. Then just stir around what's left. Once a week I dump it all and put in new. My pig Randy does a good job of doing most of his business in the litter pans, so it's worth the extra effort to have them.

urofan

Cavy Slave
I use Kaytee Clean And Cozy White Bedding that i buy from Doctors Foster And Smith. The Kaytee Clean And Cozy White Bedding that i buy is the 56L (2 Cubic in) that cost me 29.99 for each one that i buy.

You might consider getting the Marshall Premium Ferret Litter.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm willing to try different bedding until I find the right one. Does anyone know approximately how many pounds of yesterday's news pellets it takes to adequately cover the bottom of a 2x4 c&c? Also has anyone's piggies eaten the bedding? Mine seem to think all non-food items are food (carefresh, chloroplast, the coating off the grids) so I need to make sure anything I try is safe for them to ingest.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
I use Kaytee Clean And Cozy White Bedding that i buy from Doctors Foster And Smith. The Kaytee Clean And Cozy White Bedding that i buy is the 56L (2 Cubic in) that cost me 29.99 for each one that i buy.

You might consider getting the Marshall Premium Ferret Litter.
omg that's expensive. You can get that on Amazon with a prime membership for around $8.79 and free shipping

Last edited:

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
I've used Yesterday's News also and like it fine. Worked well, wasn't dusty. The only thing I didn't like was the price. I think I paid about $17 for a big bag at my local Meijer (big box/grocery). I was using it in my kitchen (when I had one) and litter pans. The rest of my cage is fleece & UHaul.

Currently I'm using wood pellets in my litter pans. Honestly it works equally as well as Yesterday's News. It's just so much cheaper! My pig Randy has no problems with it. I do have to scoop out the peed on spots every-other day. Then just stir around what's left. Once a week I dump it all and put in new. My pig Randy does a good job of doing most of his business in the litter pans, so it's worth the extra effort to have them.
@CavyChrissy you and I seem to be on the same wave. I was using yesterday's new in my kitchen and/or litter pans until it got too expensive. Now I'm just using $5.50 for a 40lb bag of wood pellets from tractor supply in my litter pans (no kitchen)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Carefresh ultra (which is what I've been using) is around $17-$25 for 50L on Amazon (I have prime so free shipping). Amazon has 30lbs of yesterday's news for about $13-$14.

urofan

Cavy Slave
omg that's expensive. You can get that on Amazon with a prime membership for around $8.79 and free shipping
The Kaytee Clean And Cozy White Bedding size 56 Large (2 Cubic in ) is not at Amazon for 8.79 and free shipping.

The Kaytee Clean And Cozy White Bedding size 56 Large sold at Doctors Foster And Smith that is 29.99 is the biggest size that you can get.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
image.jpg
The Kaytee Clean And Cozy White Bedding size 56 Large (2 Cubic in ) is not at Amazon for 8.79 and free shipping.

The Kaytee Clean And Cozy White Bedding size 56 Large sold at Doctors Foster And Smith that is 29.99 is the biggest size that you can get.
Yes it is. They are the same size the largest you can get. I've ordered them from both places and they are the same. Drsfosterandsmith have it listed as 56L which is what it expands to. It is on the front of the bag.

urofan

Cavy Slave
LoveMyPigs25, i am not taking about the size of Kaytee Clean and Cozy Bedding that you are showing us. The Kaytee Clean White Bedding cost 45.80 at Amazon Website and would cost me at Dr Foster and Smith 29.99 The size that cost 879 is the 1000 cubic inches. The one that is 29.99 is 2 cubic inches.

[h=1]Kaytee Pet Products SKT100506835 Clean and Cozy Small Pet Bedding, 2 Cubic Feet[/h]

by Kaytee

4.7 out of 5 stars (broken link removed)

List Price:$64.20
Price:[COLOR=#B12704 !important]$45.80
& FREE Shipping. Details
You Save:$18.40 (29%)

[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008A00 !important]Only 4 left in stock.

[/COLOR]
Want it Monday, Jan. 11? Order within [COLOR=#008A00 !important]15 hrs 54 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

[/COLOR]

Sold by PetsTek and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

• Clean and Cozy bedding is safe for small pet
  • Made of material that meets FDA standards
  • 99.9-Percent dust free
  • Odor control guaranteed
  • Available in 2-cubic feet

urofan

Cavy Slave
LoveMyPigs25, i am not taking about the size of Kaytee Clean and Cozy Bedding that you are showing us. The Kaytee Clean White Bedding cost 45.80 at Amazon Website and would cost me at Dr Foster and Smith 29.99 The size that cost 879 is the 1000 cubic inches. The one that is 29.99 is 2 cubic inches.

Kaytee Pet Products SKT100506835 Clean and Cozy Small Pet Bedding, 2 Cubic Feet

by Kaytee

4.7 out of 5 stars (broken link removed)

List Price:
You Save:

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
I have purchase Kaytee clean and cozy from Drs Foster & Smith before the one they sell for $29.99 is the 2 cubic feet is 56L (expanded) they list it after expansion
which is the same one on amazon for $16.48 right now (price has changed since this morning)except amazon list the product as 1000 cubic inches which is before the expansion, after expansion it is 55.7L rounded to 56 L or 3400 cubic inches which is 2 cubic feet
same product two different places listing it differently, on before expansion and one after expansion.
I have purchased from both places basically they are both the 56L packages after expansion. Look for the after expansion numbers they are both 56L

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Update, so far yesterday's news is not working out. It took the entire 30lb bag to cover the bottom of a 2x4 c&c cage. I expected it to be soft but it's hard, like food pellets. The litter pellets rattle, so when the piggies move it's really loud rattling against the chloroplast. I suspect putting something under the litter would diminish the noise but my piggies would eat anything I can think of to put under the litter (newspaper, cardboard, etc.). They also seem to think I've lined their cage with thousands of food pellets, they do look the same. Both pigs keep trying to eat them and then looking confused. Yes, their regular food bowls with their regular Timothy pellets are in the cage too. They both act like they don't like walking on it, and when they chase each other those litter pellets go flying everywhere and the piggies' feet keep sliding out from under them. And Penny is just terrified of the noise anytime she or Ferb move so she keeps startling. I suspect every time they move tonight it will wake me up. I'll give it a day or two to see if anything improves, unless they don't stop eating the litter which can't be good for them. I still have 1/2 a bag of carefresh so may mix that in to see if it helps with the noise. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Thanks @spy9doc , I'll check it out! Penny is completely traumatized at this point, she's sitting on top of a fleece cuddle sack and refuses to walk off it. I had to move the hay to her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.