Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage What do you all think of my cage setup, any suggestions? Also do the cages need tops?

Aaron Budkofsky

Cavy Slave
I am hopefully adopting 2 wonderful guinea pigs this Sunday and already have their new homes set up. They are 2 baby males, (brothers). I purchased 2 midwest habitat cages and combined them. I have it set up as pretty much a kitchen with a hay wheel, food bowl and water bottle then another room with 2 hideaways and then a whole other area with 2 super sleeper cuddly cups as beds. I have also heard those are really good to take the pigs out and watch tv with them or anything like that. Then the rest of the cage is empty for room for running around and stuff. I also have various chew toys. I will include pictures.

What are your thoughts on the cage, any recommendations? Also is a top necessary? The second cage did not come with a top so if I needed one I would need to make a custom one but I have heard guinea pigs can't jump and really don't try to get out. IMG_3599.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd take the internal dividers out. They need room to run, and those dividers don't serve any purpose.

Also, what is that wheel in the bottom section of the cage?

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Looks great! I wish I had the space to do that.

Just wanted to warn you about the hay wheel. There have been a lot of horror stories where the pig got their paw caught in the wheel.

I'd also reccomend putting a cover on that ramp. Guinea pigs can get their paw stuck in it, and if they continually use the ramp without a cover, they can get bumblefoot, which is VERY painful for the pig.

Aaron Budkofsky

Cavy Slave
I'd take the internal dividers out. They need room to run, and those dividers don't serve any purpose.

Also, what is that wheel in the bottom section of the cage?

If your talking about the wheel in the kitchen area that's a hay wheel. Your supposed to fill it with hay and they eat it out of that wheel. Got really great reviews on amazon.

Aaron Budkofsky

Cavy Slave
Well I most certainly appreciate all the feedback and I definitely would not want my piggies to get any sort of foot problems. I can see why you guys say the dividers might not serve a purpose so I took them out. I also didn't realize the hay wheel might cause those issues. What would you guys suggest for the hay, just get another food bowl for it? This is an updated picture with the dividers removed.

Attachments

IMG_3602.jpg

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
I put hay inside a shallow cardboard box and just plop the box inside the cage.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Looks good. I'd drape a blanket over the sleeping area. They don't like to sleep in the open.
You can cut holes in cardboard box and fill it with hay, and clip it to the side of the cage with binder clips.

Aaron Budkofsky

Cavy Slave
Looks good. I'd drape a blanket over the sleeping area. They don't like to sleep in the open.
You can cut holes in cardboard box and fill it with hay, and clip it to the side of the cage with binder clips.

That's an excellent idea I'll definitely do that! I'm so glad I joined this forum, such awesome advice! Thank you so much!!

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
That looks great! Nice and big! I actually just made a hay box like @lissie described. Here's a pic of mine:

WP_20160121_003.jpg

I know it probably looks huge (and it is, honestly), but piggies eat a LOT of hay and I find it easier to have a huge box so that I don't have to constantly refill it.

Also, wondering if you got those pet beds from Amazon? I think I have the same ones and they are good for holding piggies. But just a warning that they are NOT waterproof. If your piggie pees in there, it will soak through to whatever is underneath. Like your pants. So be sure to put something additional under it. I learned this lesson the hard way : o !!!

Aaron Budkofsky

Cavy Slave
That looks great! Nice and big! I actually just made a hay box like @lissie described. Here's a pic of mine:

View attachment 78101

I know it probably looks huge (and it is, honestly), but piggies eat a LOT of hay and I find it easier to have a huge box so that I don't have to constantly refill it.

Also, wondering if you got those pet beds from Amazon? I think I have the same ones and they are good for holding piggies. But just a warning that they are NOT waterproof. If your piggie pees in there, it will soak through to whatever is underneath. Like your pants. So be sure to put something additional under it. I learned this lesson the hard way : o !!!

That's a great idea and the woman I adopted the piggies from recommended I do that as well. (yes I adopted them a day early!) Also yes those cups are the ones from amazon. Thank you for the heads up about them not being leak proof!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.