Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Black/brown specks on guinea pig butt fur?

tiffanyspiggies

Cavy Slave
Hey guys,

Well, I recently noticed tiny brownish blackish flecks on my guinea pigs white fur. I have found this on both of my guinea pigs but only on their rear end. I have never seen this before in my previous guinea pigs, but maybe I haven't inspected their butts before previously. Is this normal? Or should I be concerned?

Tjanks for any help in advance!
-tiffanyspiggies

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1384064510449.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1384064525811.jpg

tiffanyspiggies

Cavy Slave
When there were flecks like that on my pigs' rear ends, it was lice. It might be worth looking into getting Ivermectin or Revolution.

Thank you for the help! I'm just confused because I went to the vet yesterday and they said my piggies were fine and they checked their rear end as well... However, I've been notcing that they have been scratching a lot more than usual and they tend to drag their bums on the fleece sometimes... Does this indicate mites? I thought so and told the vet but they said nothing on piggies seemed conclusive so I should return two weeks later :confused:

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
That's all I use when my pigs get lice. Never had side effects.

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
There cant be side effects from something you treat your pet with for parasites, unless you use the wrong thing. If you treat them for lice when they have lice, and there aren't side effects, then there would never be a reason for there to be side effects for treating them as a preventative action.

Alfonz, Marbles and Jellybean get lice every other week it seems, because my petstore seems to always have them, and they come in with my hay, the boys honestly have never been truly bothered by the lice, I just have to treat them all over again. I cant get Ivermectin from my feed store here, so I had to use the Advantage that is safe for piggies, but Ive run out of that and have to contact my vet and see if I can get ivermectin through them.

tiffanyspiggies

Cavy Slave
There cant be side effects from something you treat your pet with for parasites, unless you use the wrong thing. If you treat them for lice when they have lice, and there aren't side effects, then there would never be a reason for there to be side effects for treating them as a preventative action.

Alfonz, Marbles and Jellybean get lice every other week it seems, because my petstore seems to always have them, and they come in with my hay, the boys honestly have never been truly bothered by the lice, I just have to treat them all over again. I cant get Ivermectin from my feed store here, so I had to use the Advantage that is safe for piggies, but Ive run out of that and have to contact my vet and see if I can get ivermectin through them.

Thank you! Ill go look for ivermectin. Better safe than sorry :)

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
its always better safe than sorry lol. Pigs seem to be able to give us a scare every other day.

This morning when I woke up, I freaked out because Alfonz had a HUGE gash on his foot and up his leg, so I made the boyfriend help me catch him, and when I inspected his "huge gash" it was blackberry juice....he must have decided to sleep on his blackberry lol. No wound, but for a few minutes I was going very crazy. lol

tiffanyspiggies

Cavy Slave
its always better safe than sorry lol. Pigs seem to be able to give us a scare every other day.

This morning when I woke up, I freaked out because Alfonz had a HUGE gash on his foot and up his leg, so I made the boyfriend help me catch him, and when I inspected his "huge gash" it was blackberry juice....he must have decided to sleep on his blackberry lol. No wound, but for a few minutes I was going very crazy. lol

Hahahaa!! Aw at least it wasn't anything serious in the end :p

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
Haha yeah, the pigs are always in good shape, and Alfonz and Marbles get along really well, so I was really shocked to see Alfonz, the older pig, wounded, but thankfully he just decided to sleep on a blackberry lol

Veggielady79

Cavy Slave
How do you know what's a normal amount of scratching vs. probable mites/lice? My guy seems to be scratching more and nibbling at himself on his back (where he can reach, obviously).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.