Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Chewing cage bars constantly

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
Hi,

So I've finally got this new cage for my piggies to be separated, they've been in it for about 2 hours now.
I realised that they are male and female a week after getting them.
I have separated them until she either gives birth and can have boys with him or until I can get him neutered!

Either way, I had treacle in a small pet shop cage on the table far away from Truffle until her cage arrived!
I finally put it together and put treacle in the top and they're both just getting each other excited wheeking and chewing the bars of the cage.

They have plenty of toys, cardboard, chewing toys, fresh veggies and hay to chew on!!

Is this something that with time they'll stop and just get over or do you think this will continue?

*First photo is how it was before: cage on table and c&c cage on floor and they were fine, wheeked occasionally when they heard each other but that's it.*

*second photo is their set up now, chewing the cage bars

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hi, they want to be with each other, is she in heat?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I’m guessing that the wheeking is because they can’t see each other. In the first setup each knew where the other one was. Now they can still hear but can’t see. I do think they will settle down since rescues house guinea pigs out of site of each other and they don’t pitch a fit.

No, they're both in our living room away from the window. The sun doesn't shine on either of them

I’m guessing that the wheeking is because they can’t see each other. In the first setup each knew where the other one was. Now they can still hear but can’t see. I do think they will settle down since rescues house guinea pigs out of site of each other and they don’t pitch a fit.
They couldn't see each other at all in the other set up! He could maybe see her cage but that's it, they haven't seen each other in the other set up!

I hope they settle down as they're in our living room and it's SOO noisy them chewing the bars all the time!

Any tips on what I can do to stop it? Putting them together is not an option!

I would agree with MummyTomyboys that the female may be in heat. Females have a heat cycle about every 16 days when they can become pregnant. You mentioned she might already be pregnant but that might not be the case.

A new cage can be exciting for guinea pigs and it’s been such a short time, I would give it some time to see if they calm down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.