Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergies Does anyone else have allergies?

AnimalLover202

Cavy Slave
I am allergic to guinea pigs, but I own 2. lol

Is anyone else allergic, but has them?

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I'm allergic to guinea pigs and some of the types of hay but I still keep them :). I've had pigs for 9 years continuously. I am just careful when handling them and in the spring I keep my room exceptionally clean and wear a face mask while cleaning the cage. My allergies to their hay is only really bad in the spring, to the point it takes me over an hour to clean their cage cause I wont stop sneezing!

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am quite allergic as well! The hay, the bedding, the pigs themselves. The hay and bedding is congestion and sneezing runny nose but the pigs give me hives. Well, right now my little one doesn't so bad but my older pig gives me quite bad hives. I just try and be careful not to let them touch my arms, neck, or face, wash my hands well, and use witch hazel on the hives I do get. I also take allegra which works alright. They are worth the sneezes!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm not allergic to the guinea pigs but I'm really allergic to timothy hay. If I handle the guinea pigs and touch my eyes, they itch, but as long as I don't do that, they don't bother me at all. I have asthma and am really allergic to cats, mold and quite a few trees and plants.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I used to think I was allergic to my pigs, but it turns out it was just the timothy hay. Since switching to orchard grass, I've had no issues with the piggies.

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
I am allergic to our pigs, cat and dog. We still have them.

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
I'm allergic to the timothy hay but the guinea pigs will only bother me if I handle them and then touch my face. I've started wearing a dust mask when I'm cleaning the cage to help with the sniffles. I'm also allergic to cats, but have developed a tolerance to my two cats. I'm generally allergic to all animals, grass, pollen, molds and hay. But it won't stop me from having animals in my home.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I'm also allergic to cats, but have developed a tolerance to my two cats. I'm generally allergic to all animals, grass, pollen, molds and hay. But it won't stop me from having animals in my home.

Ditto, I had an allergy test and found out I was allergic to cats, guinea pigs and all tree pollens and a bunch of grasses and weeds. I love animal and I love nature, so I wont let my allergies stop me!

SweetGuinea

Cavy Slave
I get red bumps all over my arms after I holding my guinea pigs....they are itchy and annoying. I just wash my hands after handling them. They go away in about fifteen minutes. I love 'em too much to let it bother me but it can by a little annoying.

AdorablePiggies

Cavy Gazer
I'm allergic to cats, mold, dust, and grass. I had a rabbit before and my mom thought I was allergic to her (Instead of her hay) so she made me give her back to the pets store (At that time I was only 11 years and didn't know pets store animals were bad) a week later.
I don't have any guinea pig yet (but will be getting one- or two- soon) but I am definitely going to keep them no matter what.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I'm allergic to hay (discovered this as a horse owner) and also to cats. My cat allergy is mild most of the time, although some days my eyes go crazy. Still, I'd never give up my four cats.

I think my husband is allergic to piggies. He doesn't handle the hay at all, but after he holds one of the pigs he usually gets a runny nose, and sometimes even gets a sneezing fit. Like me and cats, it's not enough to keep him away from the girls.

Sagers4

Cavy Slave
I'm also mildly allergic to cats. I can't touch them and then my face or my lips will puff up and my eyes will water. It is quite the sight! Still I love my three cats and wouldn't ever give them up.

coconutty78

Cavy Slave
When we first got our GP's i thought my child was allergic to them, but as it turns out its not from handling them its from touching the hay to hand feed them. So there is always a lot of hand washing going on to keep the sneezing and eye rubbing under control.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
I get red bumps all over my arms after I holding my guinea pigs....they are itchy and annoying. I just wash my hands after handling them. They go away in about fifteen minutes. I love 'em too much to let it bother me but it can by a little annoying.

Sounds like hives, that's what happens to me too. I put witch hazel on them, arm, face, neck wherever, and it helps immensely!

AnimalLover202

Cavy Slave
The only way I knew I was allergic to them, I know that because I got an allergy test.
I'm also allergic to almost every tree in the state I live in. :3
I've had allergies since I was little so it didn't surprise me I was allergic to the pigs. :D

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I *thought* i was allergic to my babies. Turns out I am allergic to pine bedding. My allergy symptoms disappeared upon 1-2 weeks into the switch to fleece. My new girls were in pine shavings. So I'm trying to let their bodys naturally expel the pine scent and not bathe them.

It's rather difficult, I'm sure my sneezing doesn't help in letting them settle in their new cage xD

missmachete

Cavy Slave
I personally am not but my husband is. He has asthma and just something about piggies stir it up really bad.

missmachete

Cavy Slave
@Guinea_lover327 It could possibly be the bedding you are using. I use pine but I recently had to switch the brand because the store no longer sold the brand I use to purchase so when I was changing my piggies cage my nose started getting stuffy, my eyes watery, and my throat was getting kind of scratchy. Had to take a benadryl and slept it off.

applechih

Cavy Slave
I feel sorry for you lol you must have to take a lot of allergy pills right, but no im not allergic to guinea pigs or anything for that matter

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.