Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Can I Give My Guinea Pig A Bath?

kermit

Cavy Slave
I've had my guinea pig for about a month now and he is really starting to smell. Is it safe to give him a bath, and if so what kind of soap should i use

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Hello! Welcome!

Hmmmm. I have heard over and over not to bathe pigs unless it's a medical reason, or they got so dirty they can't clean themselves... It also gets rid of the oils in a pigs fur, which make it flat and dull. If you have your heart set of bathing that piggy, use a SMALL ANIMAL shampoo only!!!! Dog and cat shampoos are too harsh, and not made for sensitive piggy skin. I would wait until a few other experienced members answer, as I'm not a bathing expert. Here's a link to a shampoo I personally would use: PETS INTERNATIONAL LTD Small Animal Supplies Instant Shampoo Critter 6 Oz - Pet Supplies - Small Animal Supplies - Sanitation & Hygiene

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Certainly you can give him a bath. Just use a shampoo made for small exotic animals, rinse him thoroughly, and then dry him off.

Guinea pigs are very clean animals and don't usually smell. You might want to check to make sure his "skirt" isn't too long and isn't trapping pee and poop. You can trim it if it is. Also check to make sure he isn't lying in his own wastes. If so, you need to clean his sleeping spot more often.

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Certainly you can give him a bath. Just use a shampoo made for small exotic animals, rinse him thoroughly, and then dry him off.

@Guinea_lover327, just change "him" to "her."

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
@Guinea_lover327, if your pig is BROWN, and her fur is naturally WHITE, give her a bath!!!! I don't know about the ferret shampoo, but for me, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Look around online or at your local pet suppliers for guinea pig/exotic small animal specific shampoos!!!

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
For the third time,

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Ok thank you I'll give her a bath right away and I'll get a different shampoo that is made for just guinea pigs..umm also I have another guinea pig,but her fur is naturally brown soo I can't see if it's dirty or not,should I give her a bath too
If they've lived in the same place together for roughly the same time, then it's a safe bet they're as dirty as each other. ;)

I'm really not sure where the notion that bathing is harmful came from...it's perfectly safe and good for them as long as you don't do it too frequently and dry out their skin, and use safe shampoo. I use Squeaky Clean, it's specifically for small animals/rodents and it's 6 bucks at Petsmart. Very mild, and has a nice baby powder scent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.