Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression match made in heaven or no?

luvmysmanimals

Cavy Slave
Hello there, I have finally put my male guinea pigs together in the same cage. There is definitely one dominant out of the pair. He is always picking on my other guinea pig and he never gets to rest. Should that be a sign to separate them? There is no blood being drawn unlike the first introduction. But it seems like a crappy way for a guinea pig to live...always getting picked on. Should I try another guinea pig?

Thank you

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They'll probably settle down. How old are they and how large is your cage?

luvmysmanimals

Cavy Slave
3 1/2 to 4 months old......they are in a 2x4 cage......now that they are together i want to make a second level to make more room, but i'm not sure they are right for each other

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, I think that cage is too small for two boars. Especially two adolescent boars. That's the minimum for two pigs, and two sows would be crowded in there. A loft won't do much to help the situation, either. They'll get in each other's faces as they're going up and down a ramp, and as they're just moving around.

You won't know whether they can live together or not if you don't enlarge the cage. And there's no point trying to put another boar in there even if you do take one of these out. There's just not enough room.

luvmysmanimals

Cavy Slave
Yes I would agree, but even when I have them in the kitchen for floor time they still act the same :/ When I adopted my first guinea pig...he didn't have a companion....could it be that he just doesn't want a friend?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
One of them is trying to establish dominance over the other one. Just leave them be and let them work it out as long as no one is being bitten or harassed to the point that he can't eat. But do think about enlarging that cage -- it may not solve all the problems, but it'll certainly remove some of the opportunities for getting in each other's face.

luvmysmanimals

Cavy Slave
Today was the first time I put them in the same cage together and it definitely looks like I need to expand, which isn't a problem...I was just wondering if I should even try to keep them in the same cage if one is picking on the other.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It takes a bit for them to figure out who is the top piggy. Some work out, some don't. It will take time for them to mellow out, do not separate unless you see blood being drawn or a pig isn't eating/ drinking and clearly depressed. If you separate now it could do more harm than good.
I agree with making the cage larger. Wider is always better with boars, with mine it has worked wonders.

Also, do you have 2 of everything? Hay racks/ bins, water bottles, beds? Make sure each one is far from each other. I find this helps when they are first introed with each other. Less bickering with each other if they all of their own space to munch and sleep.

ADD: Personally, I would not get another piggy for one of those boys. Unless you have enough room for 3 separate cages then it's a huge risk. Not all piggies get along and you always have to have a backup plan for if they don't. I would also like to add that I haven't had any of my boar trio's work out. So if or when you decide you want to add another boar, choose wisely. As long as you are prepared for the worst then you will be good. Sad to say, but so true! :) Good luck!

Last edited:

luvmysmanimals

Cavy Slave
I have come across these articles already :)

luvmysmanimals

Cavy Slave
@Melissa123 .....Yes...there are two of everything, but my piggy that I had first likes to use the other piggy's stuff too. He will eat and drink for the other piggy's food bowl and water bottle.

luvmysmanimals

Cavy Slave
@lissie.......Thanks....I haven't come across this one yet :)

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
@Melissa123 .....Yes...there are two of everything, but my piggy that I had first likes to use the other piggy's stuff too. He will eat and drink for the other piggy's food bowl and water bottle.

That's what happens. The main point of doing so is to give the other piggy a chance to eat/ drink by the other locations.

luvmysmanimals

Cavy Slave
Glad to know that they have a chance to settle down in the near future. How do you know when they are completely bonded?

glitterfae77

Cavy Slave
I have 2 sows so I know the situation is different but it took a while for my girls to settle down after being put together. I was wondering if they would be able to live together but I did let them be and they worked it out. It's been almost a few weeks and I don't know if they're "bonded" or if they ever will be. Half the time they ignore each other. Some of the time they are grumpy with one another but some times they actually play together which is fun to see. I think if there's no serious aggression between your boars, it'd be a good idea to let them work it out. I think you'd know right away if they actively didn't like one another and weren't going to get along. From what I've read there is a huge difference between figuring out dominance and out and out fighting. Good luck!

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Glad to know that they have a chance to settle down in the near future. How do you know when they are completely bonded?

Once they are bonded, you won't hear them bickering as much. Don't get me wrong, they still might bicker- my bonded pairs do once in a while. They may sleep together, they may not. It just depends on the piggies themselves. 2 out of 3 of my pairs sleep together, all of them eat together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.