Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Yesterday's News and fleece liners

Tarams

Cavy Slave
Bought myself fleece for Christmas :). They are liners with uhaul in the middle. I keep reading about people using wood stove pellets under the liners, has anyone used Yesterdays News, or similar newspaper pellets? Does it work just as well for reducing odours?

Bought myself fleece for Christmas :). They are liners with uhaul in the middle. I keep reading about people using wood stove pellets under the liners, has anyone used Yesterdays News, or similar newspaper pellets? Does it work just as well for reducing odours?

Paper pellets are very expensive. The stove pellets are cheap so that's why a lot of people use them. If you use the Yesterday's News, you don't need fleece over them, although you could do that.

I've recently been using Fresh News for cats for half of my cage and the other half fleece. I put the food dishes, hay, water bottle and pigloo on the bedding and leave the fleece side open. They spend nearly all their time on the bedding side. I can keep the fleece in there for a long time without changing it since they don't seem to pee there at all. I find a few droppings occasionally.

I use Esquisicat paper pellet litter under my fleece and it works really well just a little more expensive but it works.

Also, having used both Yesterday's News and wood pellets, I found that the newspaper pellets tend to turn to "mush" when they get wet. The wood pellets, however, turn to nearly dry sawdust. I get equine pellets from Tractor Supply - you can't beat $5.49 for 40 lbs!

I usually use news paper puppy pee pads and towles under the fleece but just news paper is ok and if you want to you can use some old towles to reduce smell

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.