Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Photos Dora and Olivia playing in the cage

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Dora and Olivia playing and running around in the cage.

CAM00203.jpg

Smile4amile

Cavy Slave
I love your cage!

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
And Dora eatting some hay standing up and Olivia munching on some pellets.

CAM00207.jpg

Last edited:

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
I love your cage!

Thanks. I had a smaller c&c age that sat on the floor, but I thought it was too small for two. They have wood chews, cardboard and paperbag tunnels, pingpong balls to play with and two cuddle sacks to hide in, plus plenty of space to run around in.

Last edited:

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I love the size and open area of the 3x4. I have 3 girls in a 3x4 and I quite like it a lot. I am hoping to be able to get a new sheet of coroplast to make a new tray(current tray is 3 pieces into 1) and possibly some new uhual pads/fleece(a girl can hope. lol)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Just an FYI, I have that same hay rack, I had to take the wire grid thingy out because Ferb was diving head first behind it to get at the hay in the bottom. I watched him almost get stuck head down that way and realized the wire could be a strangulation hazard b/c he was trying to crawl out through it. Now there's hay all over the place in his cage and I've ordered a new hay rack from the guinea pig cages store.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
I love the size and open area of the 3x4. I have 3 girls in a 3x4 and I quite like it a lot. I am hoping to be able to get a new sheet of coroplast to make a new tray(current tray is 3 pieces into 1) and possibly some new uhual pads/fleece(a girl can hope. lol)

Thanks. I had to buy new fleece when I went from a 2 x 3 to a 3 x 4. The old fleece I cut up for scraps for them to burrow under and for under there plastic igloos when they mess up the cuddle sacks.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Just an FYI, I have that same hay rack, I had to take the wire grid thingy out because Ferb was diving head first behind it to get at the hay in the bottom. I watched him almost get stuck head down that way and realized the wire could be a strangulation hazard b/c he was trying to crawl out through it. Now there's hay all over the place in his cage and I've ordered a new hay rack from the guinea pig cages store.

Thanks for the heads up. They seem to like the hay mainly in the lower bowl, but once in a while will grabe for a piece up top if its hanging out of the top.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ferb is a little acrobat, he climbs the cage corners (I had to get a c&c with a lid), goes hay rack diving and likes to play king of the pigloo. He loves to climb me and the sofa cushions during lap time.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Ferb is a little acrobat, he climbs the cage corners (I had to get a c&c with a lid), goes hay rack diving and likes to play king of the pigloo. He loves to climb me and the sofa cushions during lap time.

Dora and Olivia are more burrowers then climbers. They would rather lay in something (igloo, cuddle sack, etc), then climb it.

JenNPiggys

Cavy Slave
Your girls are so cute! They look well spoiled in that big cage!

I see that you use binder clips with your fleece. That's such a great idea and I like that your fleece goes over the sides. Would you mind telling me what you are using under your fleece? Do you sew the ends?

I had all my fleece pads made and it wasn't cheep. I was thinking about just getting pieces twice the size I need and just folding them in half so I could do like you do with the binder clips. But I don't know if that would work.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Your girls are so cute! They look well spoiled in that big cage!

I see that you use binder clips with your fleece. That's such a great idea and I like that your fleece goes over the sides. Would you mind telling me what you are using under your fleece? Do you sew the ends?

I had all my fleece pads made and it wasn't cheep. I was thinking about just getting pieces twice the size I need and just folding them in half so I could do like you do with the binder clips. But I don't know if that would work.

Thanks. I do think that they enjoy all the space they have in the cage. There is two layers under the fleece, the bottom layer which are dog pee pads and the 2nd layer which are towels. Once a week I take off the soiled bedding and under layers and replace them with my 2nd set up bedding. I toss the soiled dog pads and wash the towels and fleece in my washer. As far as sewing goes, nothing is sewed at all since I have the fleece wrapped over the sides and binder clipped. Doing this prevents either Dora and Olivia from burrowing under the fleece or having accidents under the fleece. I can't take credit for the binder clip idea as I got the idea from another post on here.

mtk2000

Cavy Slave
Great cage! they are some very spoiled princesses!

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I love the 3x4 grids, tons of space :) they are so cute and look very happy

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Great cage! they are some very spoiled princesses!

Thanks. From my understanding when I adopted them, they had a very hard life prior to coming to the shelter, so I guess I'm trying to make up for how the previous owners treated them.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
I love the 3x4 grids, tons of space :) they are so cute and look very happy

Thanks as well. I wanted to make sure the cage was big enough so they had everything they needed in it and at the same time still had space to run around.

JenNPiggys

Cavy Slave
Do the pee pads cut the urine smell? I can't go more that 2 days with my current setup before I have to change fleece. I have a 4x2 grid cage, towels under my 2 layers of fleece, and I shake the poops out of the fleece before and after work each day. But, I do have boys and maybe the just smell a little more.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@JenNPiggys I find that pads make a huge difference, yes. I have one in their hidey and one in their favourite pee corner, and it makes a world of difference for me. I change them out for new pads every 3 days, and in between I flip them once a day so as the girls have always got a clean hidey surface.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Do the pee pads cut the urine smell? I can't go more that 2 days with my current setup before I have to change fleece. I have a 4x2 grid cage, towels under my 2 layers of fleece, and I shake the poops out of the fleece before and after work each day. But, I do have boys and maybe the just smell a little more.

I would recommend that you try out uhual pads. They are reported to not having any smell as opposed to towels. Anyone who smells anything is either not thoroughly washing ot using the wrong washing agents.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.