Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General how do I??

wiggers84

Cavy Slave
I need info on how to get rid of the pee smell becasue it is stinking up my house even though i just changed their fleese i have tried spraying frabreeze but the pee smell still over powers it. is there anything to help get rid of it?:sad:

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What do you use under the fleece?

SuperGilbert

Cavy Slave
Toilet train them

LeePetVet

Cavy Slave
Switch to carefresh

wiggers84

Cavy Slave
i put towels underneth my fleece and i have a potty box in there and change that every two days?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
My fleece has never smelled, I also just use towels..

How big is your cage? I've found that fleece works better the bigger the cage.
Is it coming out of the washing machine still smelling?

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Strip the fleece. Stop spraying febreeze that will harm your piggies.

How to Strip Fleece, Run your washer as hot as you can get it, dump a boatload of white vinegar in the wash with the fleece. Wash as normal, DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTNER. Like ever... hang to dry if you can. If not, tumble dry on LOW/Fluff with no fabric softener.

wiggers84

Cavy Slave
no i dont spray the febreeze on their their fleece i spray it throughtout my house i would never spray their cage i know it can hurt them

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Cool. Strip the fleece.

SuperGilbert

Cavy Slave
American Society of prevention of cruelty to animals issued a statement saying its toxicologists believe that animals are safe in the presence of febreze, so I wouldn't worry about it too much

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
@SuperGilbert, even if the Society of Prevention to Cruelty to Animals says that it's OK, I still wouldn't recommend it. Anyways, pigs aren't like dogs of cats in that they can get away from something if it's bothering them, as they are in a cage. You're spraying chemicals that are engineered to smell good into the delicate lungs of a fragile animal. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster. (On a side note, canary's lungs are so delicate that Fabreeze has been known to cause death or lung issues in some cases. That' why they used them in mines to detect gas leaks.)

You should be OK spraying Frabreeze around the house, as long as it's probably not sprayed in the room they're in. I hope your smell issue clears up! :)

SuperGilbert

Cavy Slave
@NarwhalsRock, that is your opinion that you don't recommend it but there really isn't any concrete evidence behind the theory.....ASPCA Animal poison control center regards febreeze products to be safe for use in households with pets

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
The ASPCA doesn't take in account guinea pigs or rodents as pets.

Nix16

Cavy Slave
Is there any hay in their toilet boxes or on the fleece. I usually find it's wet hay that makes most of the smell in my cage. Otherwise maybe trial another type of bedding and see if you still have smell problems. at the same time as trialling disposable bedding, you can try rewashing your fleece a few times again. And maybe bath your pigs aswell if they haven't had a bath for a while, just incase they're the culprits lol.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Try using more towels. One layer isn't good enough. Four is much better. My fleece never really smells.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Are you wiping down the cage with vinegar and water when you take the fleece out? How many guinea pigs do you have in what sized cage? How often do you sweep up droppings and how often are you changing the bedding? I have four 2x4 c&c cages with a pair in each. Some of my guinea pigs are messier than others so each cage requires different cleaning routines. If I detect any odor, the bedding gets changed. If you find that your guinea pigs are getting soiled or need a bath, chances are you're letting the cages go too long before changing the bedding. I wouldn't try and mask the odor. I'd try and figure out how to keep the cage from smelling in the first place.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Not sure why we are arguing about whether or not to spray Febreze in or on a pig or its living space. No matter who endorses it or not, common sense suggests not to do it.

I'd guess you need more layers under the fleece and possibly a larger cage depending on what you have for the number of animals living in the cage. Also, if you're not, as pinky mentioned, wipe down the coroplast before putting fresh bedding down - I use straight vinegar. You might consider adding some vinegar and/or bleach to your wash cycles - for me it's the only thing that truly gets odor out.

wiggers84

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x4 cage with an upper loft with only two pigs in it. thanks for all they suggestons also i do not spray their cage or fleece with febreeze i spray it throughout my house not in their room

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x4 cage with an upper loft with only two pigs in it. thanks for all they suggestons also i do not spray their cage or fleece with febreeze i spray it throughout my house not in their room

The chemicals drift around your home and are still harmful to your guinea pigs.
I recommend using another 1 or 2 more towels. And stop spraying febreeze period. The chemicals are also harmful to you. I have 2 dogs, 2 guineas, a cat and 2 mechanic men. My home NEVER smells. And I clean maybe once a week. The kitchen, however, is cleaned every night.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.