Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Cage Fixin's & Toys, etc.

Aalilily

Cavy Slave
I currently have a 2x3 c&c for my boy Hamlet, but I'm having trouble finding things like toys and such to add to it. He has a wooden house he likes to lie down in, a Hay rack food bin thing, some different balls, a rod that we try to put different chewing type woods onto, and a wooden log type tunnel thing. But he isn't really interested in any of them, He never really plays with the balls, we got him a hammock tube and he just ignored it, he doesn't seem unhappy he runs around and makes all sorts of happy sounds. I just don't want him to be bored. But its hard to know what to get when he just ignores all of it. Any Advice?:confused:

My first gut response is thay he is lonely. Gps tend to do better in pairs.

Is there anyway you could expand your cage to a 2x5 and adopt a second little boy to keep him company?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The cage is actually 2x6 split in half and I have a preggo girl on the other side. But she's new. I've had him for a bit less than a year now and this has been an issue since we got him. The woman who had him before us had him with anouther boy and they fought so she gave him to us, so I'm leery of putting anouther in with him. If we didn't live in an apartment than I would keep one of my girls babies if they were a boy, but we're already keeping her and a girl, if she has one. I'm not able to keep that many with my other animals as well.

You could get Hamlet neutered and put him in with the girl(s). Just because Hamlet didn't get along with his last cage mate is no indication of how he will do with other guinea pigs. Another guinea pig really is the best entertainment for them. Proper introductions will help everyone to get along.

You could also try hay in a toilet paper tube or paper bag. It took me a long time to find toys that they would like. It seems anything hay or veggie based is a big hit. I have a hay tunnel that gets replaced every two months because it gets chewed up.

Oh! I forgot about the cardboard tube full of hay, he loves the hay in it and likes to pull it out and spread it around his cage and then ignore it, but it does entertain him for a bit. The girl we just got is very new so we haven't put them next to each other yet. She's still in quarantine for couple of days. so we're hoping that once they share a wall full time he'll have her and the babies to talk to and they eat next to each other. I'm gonna have to build him a lid though, because I've heard that they can climb the grids if they really wanna get into the other side. Is this true?

I'm gonna have to build him a lid though, because I've heard that they can climb the grids if they really wanna get into the other side. Is this true?

Yes, it's very true! Males will got to great lengths to get to the females and they can climb and jump. Definitely build a lid and put it on his cage or you'll have more babies. It's harder for him to climb then lift the lid of his cage than lift one that is on the girls cage and drop down.

Put a lid on the girl's side of the cage. She'll be in heat when she gives birth, and he can easily climb a fence between them. He can push up a lid on his own side, but can't lift a lid on hers.

Put a lid on the girl's side of the cage. She'll be in heat when she gives birth, and he can easily climb a fence between them. He can push up a lid on his own side, but can't lift a lid on hers.

Oh shoot. I typed that backwards. Thanks for the correction.

She's not gonna be in the big cage for anouther couple of days. So I have time to fix it. I just adopted her two days ago so she's still in quarantine. Thanks for the advice guys

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.