Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

scaredy pig

guineapigmom

Cavy Slave
I have a baby and she was born on 2-18-2008 and she is the sweetest thing i have ever seen but she is scared of a lot nosies. Where we live there is a lot of wind some nights and we have thin walls and when the wind blows she freaks out and runs back and forth in her cage and squeeks really lound :melodrama and she is like the with every nosie for the whole next day is there any way to clam her or something. :guilty: Right now when we are awake and she does it we put her on our shoulder and pet her and she clams down some, by we I mean my husband and I. I could really use some advice.:boggled:

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
Guineapigmom - I have two new babies about the same age as yours, and they are also very scared of every sound. I think it takes them awhile to get used to their surroundings and feel comfortable. Also, I saw in another post that you are going to get her sister soon, and having a friend for her will probably make her feel a lot more comfortable and less scared. She looks like a cutie!

guineapigmom

Cavy Slave
Thanks cosmictadpole, thats what we are hoping for.

willowfaery

Cavy Slave
I live on a very busy street, so I sleep with 2 sound machines. One is a Marpac white noise machine and the other is a Homedics Spa machine (on the waterfall setting). These machines were originally for me, but it seems that when they are turned on at night, it puts my piggies in a trance. It doesn't freak them out, just calms them down a bit. I think it's just a signal to them that it's night night time. Just a thought. Maybe you could turn one on if you feel they need a little down time.

Cosmictadpole

Cavy Slave
Willowfaery, that's a great idea! The white noise would mask all the little sounds that make the pigs jump. I need white noise to sleep, and have always used a fan, but I had to get rid of the fan so it wouldn't bother the pigs. Now I'm going to go look for one of the machines like you have!

willowfaery

Cavy Slave
Willowfaery, that's a great idea! The white noise would mask all the little sounds that make the pigs jump. I need white noise to sleep, and have always used a fan, but I had to get rid of the fan so it wouldn't bother the pigs. Now I'm going to go look for one of the machines like you have!

Marpac is the best in my opinion. It's a bit pricey but worth it. I ordered mine from the net. And I got the Homedics one at Target. It has 6 different sounds. I use it in addition to the white noise machine because the volume can be turned up really loud. But any machine would work. I can't sleep without BOTH of my machines on. I think I'm worse than the pigs! Haha

And you're right about them being less scared when they are around other pigs. I just put all my girls together yesterday and it seems like they are "out and about" most of the time. Tsunami has always been less scared than the other two. Bonsai used to run into her igloo with her veggies. And it seemed like, for the most part, Willow camped out in her igloo all the time. Now I think they can sense that the other isn't scared so why should they be. I'm so glad my girls have each other now. :)

Last edited:

Justin

Cavy Slave
Just give them a couple of month. You may find problem for them NOT being scared and resist when you pushing them during cleaning time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.