Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection How do I avoid Ear or Eye Infections for them?

Angelic143

Cavy Slave
What causes guinea pigs to get these infections and how do I avoid them so I don't have to pay $1,200 for eye surgery if it does get infected? Trying to gain as much info as possible before I get my guinea pigs, so if you can tell me some more avoiding tips to keep guinea pigs healthy. ^_^

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
As far as I know, there isn't much you can do to avoid them. They are bacterial infections so I supposed you could keep their cage clean, but that probably won't prevent anything. Ear infections can also be caused by mites and the best thing you can do it just keep an eye on your pigs for excessive scratching or a tilting head. Eye infections usually happen when they get poked in the eye, usually by hay.
Neither of those things necessarily mean they will need surgery. My guinea pig has both of those infections right now and I have to give her antibiotics and eye drops but no surgery.

Angelic143

Cavy Slave
As far as I know, there isn't much you can do to avoid them. They are bacterial infections so I supposed you could keep their cage clean, but that probably won't prevent anything. Ear infections can also be caused by mites and the best thing you can do it just keep an eye on your pigs for excessive scratching or a tilting head. Eye infections usually happen when they get poked in the eye, usually by hay.
Neither of those things necessarily mean they will need surgery. My guinea pig has both of those infections right now and I have to give her antibiotics and eye drops but no surgery.

How much does if cost?

wombats

Cavy Slave
Yea...sometimes these things happen and the best you can do is be prepared to face them and be vigilent enough to catch them before it gets worse. This ( https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html ) is a good page to read over as well. It tells you what's normal with guinea pigs and what isn't. It's really important to recognize when something could be amiss, because early diagnosis can often prevent something far worse in the future. I also hear good practice is to weigh your guinea pigs weekly, because a big dive in weight means there could be something wrong. And of course, if anything is wrong, always take your guinea pigs (or any pet really!) to a qualified vet.

But don't be too panicked...if anything save up an "emergency vet fund". Like, we used to have this jug and any spare change we had would go into the jug and when we wanted to go on vacation or make a big purchase my mom would empty the jug and we'd often have over $100-200 in there just in spare bills and quarters. You could do the same, just for vet bills. Or set up a savings account and add like $10 or $20 a month to it just in case something were to happen. That way you can slowly add to the funds instead of spending tons of money at once that you weren't prepared to spend. And as advice, this is also good practice not just for guinea pigs, but for life in general. It's always good to be prepared :)

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
As far as eye issues go, make sure to get good quality hay that's soft and green. Dry stuff hay is way more likely to poke them in the eye. Other than that, just develop a good vet fund. And lots of eye issues and ear issues can be resolved with medication, so it's more like $200 instead of $1200. You should still have a good vet fund, but you don't need to worry quite so much

Angelic143

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much you guys are amazing ^~^! Thanks for the advice <3

Angelic143

Cavy Slave
As far as eye issues go, make sure to get good quality hay that's soft and green. Dry stuff hay is way more likely to poke them in the eye. Other than that, just develop a good vet fund. And lots of eye issues and ear issues can be resolved with medication, so it's more like $200 instead of $1200. You should still have a good vet fund, but you don't need to worry quite so much

How can pets so cheap be so expensive!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's been relatively recent that people are willing to take their "pocket pets" to the vet.

Angelic143, we require a guinea pig related avatar photo here. I tried to PM you about it, but it wouldn't go through. Could you please change it asap to a guinea pig?

Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.