Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming How to improve coat on Teddy?

Esther88

Cavy Gazer
Hi all, we are relatively new to cavies. We own 3 now and my son is showing in open and 4H. We have a Teddy Satin boar who is about 6 months old. His coat is lacking and I'm wondering if anyone knows any tips or tricks to help improve the thickness, and resiliency of it. He is from a well known breeder and is a beautiful animal. We are always careful not to smooth the coat down, and always brush the opposite direction of the hair etc. Any feed, supplements, grooming tools etc? His hair is also wanting to part on his head and neck a bit in certain spots and I know that's a big no no. Thanks!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Just an FYI, this is an anti breeding community (and a few members are anti showing), so just be aware that you'll encounter some different opinions in threads and posts :)

Other than that, Gorgeous Guineas make the best shampoos with natural products and have all kinds for different coat types.

Esther88

Cavy Gazer
Just an FYI, this is an anti breeding community (and a few members are anti showing), so just be aware that you'll encounter some different opinions in threads and posts :)

Other than that, Gorgeous Guineas make the best shampoos with natural products and have all kinds for different coat types.

Oops well thanks for the info on the shampoos! I can understand the rescuing part but also understand the need for kiddos to have quality show animals for 4H and youth classes so hope I don't get flamed. I'll keep researching and see what I can find.

Fay

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum :eek:. In case you aren't aware because you are new to guinea pigs I will briefly explain why this forum is anti-showing (mods, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

One of the main reasons is because it goes hand-in-hand with breeding and this forum is anti-breeding because of the high risk of death of guinea pigs during that process as you can read here:

https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html
https://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm

Also, it directly results in the less visually desirable of the pigs born or the ones with defects being abandoned or dumped unto rescues or sold to pet stores that do not provide adequate care nor sell them on to adequate homes and so subsequently those pigs also end up being dumped unto rescues which are already overflowing with pigs needing good homes,.

That or they die painfully from the inadequate care. We hear horror stories every week or more of pigs dying or suffering in this way on this forum from people who come on here desperate for help because they didn't have accurate information on guinea pig care at which point it's often too late.

Not to mention that some breeds are bred for their appearance despite those breeds being linked to painful or deadly diseases. In the case of satin guinea pigs they are linked to Osteodystrophy which is a painful metabolic disease of the bones. It's so bad that even some showing organisations ban satin pigs because of it.

This forum is dedicated to the wellbeing of the guinea pigs first and foremost over their visual appeal and therefore a lot of us here do not condone breeding or showing as it's not done with the guinea pigs wellbeing in mind.

At least, that's my understanding of the topic. Hope that helps to clarify the reasoning :).

Last edited:

ZipBonBoo

Cavy Slave
but also understand the need for kiddos to have quality show animals for 4H and youth classes

I don't want to start a debate or anything, but I just wanted to point out another reason the forum is against showing/breeding. The guinea pigs aren't here to be shown, but rather they are here to just be guinea pigs. They don't get anything from going to shows.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Teddies are prone to skin disorders. I wouldn't brush the fur in the opposite direction of the way it grows because it's painful when you brush them that way. Use a fine tooth comb to brush close to the skin in the direction the fur grows, being careful not to scratch the skin. You'll remove dry skin and debris that gets caught in the coat. Teddy fur is so dense, their skin can get flaky if you don't keep it clean by regular brushing. He probably has some other breed mixed in if his hair is trying to form a part. Teddies can have coarse or soft fur and the texture won't change by using different products on it. I'm sure he's adorable just the way he is.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Some teddies are prone to dry skin and dandruff. I usually rub some cold pressed coconut oil onto the dry parts.

Esther88

Cavy Gazer
I don't want to start a debate or anything, but I just wanted to point out another reason the forum is against showing/breeding. The guinea pigs aren't here to be shown, but rather they are here to just be guinea pigs. They don't get anything from going to shows.

Yes, I agree but as an avid horse person who has bred, trained, and shown horses my entire life I know the value of participating in competitions with your animals. It is a great way for kids to gain confidence, meet people with similar interests, and learn more about caring for and working with their animals. I can assure you our cavies are well cared for and loved as are all the other people I have bought cavies from and seen at shows. I do respect and understand other's opinions on showing and breeding for desired traits etc.

Esther88

Cavy Gazer
Coconut oil is a great idea for dry skin, I use it on my dairy does as well. I will try that on some areas.

Last edited:

Esther88

Cavy Gazer
He is adorable :) and I certainly don't want to change the texture just enhance it for the show ring. We don't brush the opposite direction aggressively it's more of just a "fluffing" with a proper brush. I think the part is probably from his cage buddy or him rubbing his head on something. He is pedigreed and it's not really a "part" just kind of flat patches in certain areas. I will keep an eye on his skin for sure.

Esther88

Cavy Gazer
Thanks! I will send you a PM and I do give them BOSS as a supplement as well. I will add some oats too it can only help I assume :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Most aren't anti showing when it comes to dogs, horses etc, animals that enjoy attention and are comfortable mingling with "stranger" animals. The reason most of us are against showing guinea pigs is that they don't benefit from the hustle and bustle of shows, they're prey animals and overloading them with sounds, sights, and smells is quite stressful for them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't generally need grains, and oats fall into that category. Animals that are underweight can sometimes benefit from the addition of a small amount of oats to their diet, as oats are generally higher in calories than hay. Just don't go overboard.

If the BOSS supplements you're giving are the black oil sunflower seeds, I wouldn't do that, either. Guinea pigs have TINY throats, and the danger of choking on a hard seed is high. Neither nuts nor seeds are recommended for guinea pigs. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the BOSS? Vitamins? Minerals? Calories? Oil?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Yes, I agree but as an avid horse person who has bred, trained, and shown horses my entire life I know the value of participating in competitions with your animals. It is a great way for kids to gain confidence, meet people with similar interests, and learn more about caring for and working with their animals. I can assure you our cavies are well cared for and loved as are all the other people I have bought cavies from and seen at shows. I do respect and understand other's opinions on showing and breeding for desired traits etc.

I am also an avid horse person. I'm third generation in a horse family that breeds Arabians and Miniatures. I grew up showing at National and World shows, and even ended up homeschooling in middle school after I failed a class to go to Arabian Nationals to watch our horses compete (and win so it was totally worth it). Most of my lifelong friends are those who I made while showing my horses. I would never show guinea pigs, and I do believe it is cruel. Guinea pigs are not like horses, and you can't compare them. I saw guinea pigs being shown for the first time this year at the state fair, and it was the most appalling thing I've seen. It's basically like forcing an animal to live through everything nature and genetics have taught it to fear. I'm actually going to start a campaign to ban it from the fair. It probably won't work, but it may since they serve no agricultural purpose in the U.S.

Last edited:

Esther88

Cavy Gazer
Most aren't anti showing when it comes to dogs, horses etc, animals that enjoy attention and are comfortable mingling with "stranger" animals. The reason most of us are against showing guinea pigs is that they don't benefit from the hustle and bustle of shows, they're prey animals and overloading them with sounds, sights, and smells is quite stressful for them.

Very true but horses and goats are also prey animals as are steers, pigs, and pretty much any other livestock you can think of. I think cavies can be like any other prey animal we show. If you work with them and get them more accustomed to hustle and bustle they will do better rather than leaving them in a dark room all day.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nobody's recommending leaving them in a dark room all day.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I'm certainly not suggesting we lock them away and take away any sensory stimulation, I'm simply stating that a cuddle on the couch with familiar smells and sounds is the kind of attention they enjoy and the right environment for them, as opposed to the showing environment.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Very true but horses and goats are also prey animals as are steers, pigs, and pretty much any other livestock you can think of. I think cavies can be like any other prey animal we show. If you work with them and get them more accustomed to hustle and bustle they will do better rather than leaving them in a dark room all day.

Yes, they are prey animals. But they are also much larger and see the world much differently than guinea pigs. I've had the $#*$ beat out of me by a fearful horse. A guinea pig can't do that. They can not get away. It really is like comparing apples to oranges. They are all fruit, but they are very different. As a proclaimed equine person I would think those differences would be very clear to you.

ETA: I think it's abusive to show fearful animals in other species too. Horses included. If you can't win without scaring your horse, your horse isn't good enough to win. Not saying you do scare your horses. It's just very common and I'm wanting you to know I don't.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I volunteer with a rescue that regularly has adoption events. Much thought is put into selecting which guinea pigs will attend the events based on their dispositions. Nervous, skittish guinea pigs are not brought along so they won't be stressed. A lot of care is also taken to make sure they're safe. They are never left alone there. No one handles them without permission and they're placed into cuddle bags when someone is interested in adopting one and wants to hold it. Personally, I'm even nervous if someone comes into my home and wants to pet one of mine.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Who said anything about leaving them in a dark room all day? Seriously, who did? I'm not denying that there are some neglectful owners, but just because people don't frighten their animal by taking them to shows does not mean that they will be left in a dark room all day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.