Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Should I get a third or should I stay the same???

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
There's never any guarantee that guinea pigs will be compatible. If you aren't willing to house them separately if they don't get along and will want to rehome him, I'd say stick with your two. You could bring your two to your local rescue and see if they can try and find a compatible male, but dominance issues could still pop up later.

I brought home a third and while i havn't done intros yet i have a back up cage for my one in case it doesnt work out. My new one has been alone his entire life and if he can't get along with my two i'll just keep him alone as he might prefer it. So i suggest, if you decide on a third, look for a boar from a one pig household. Then if he doesnt like your other two he can be in his own cage. But i have seen people with five boars together so you never know how it'll work out.

Ok. My local rescue is Critter Corral. I was unable to bring my gp last time. Could I do it this time? Or just bring one? I have the space for another 2x4 cage. Do you think it is worth it? How many people have three guinea pigs? Tips or tricks?

Thanks! I am only considering, I do not plan on getting a third in the near future.

My suggestion would be to bring them to their annual Open House which is in Crete (near Rt.30 and RT. 1 Main St.) and will be the first or second Sunday in November. I'll post it when the date is confirmed. It's held indoors at a recreation center and they have tables set up and space where you can bring along a small pen or grid enclosure to test them in. Testing quickly like that to see if they will definitely get along is never a "for sure" thing but you will be able to tell pretty fast if they aren't compatible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.