Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding What Baby Should I Keep

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
Okay so I had six pigs. My two adults Tater Tot (male) and Hashbrown (female). Hashbrown was supposed to be a male when I bought her from a lady with Tater Tot off craigslist. Hashbrown ended up being pregnant when I got her and had four beautiful babies 2/6. I've been in the process of rehoming some of them. I knew I was going to keep Tater Tot the whole time. I originally thought I was going to keep a boy baby with him and Hashbrown and a girl baby. So I would have four total pigs. I ended up having my family and a coworker want some of the pigs. Hashbrown and a baby girl went to my coworker who has had pigs before. One boy baby went to be with his new brother. This leaves me with three pigs. Tater Tot, and one boy and one girl.

What I am trying to decide is which baby do I keep. Tater Tot and the boy are currently together and the girl is alone. Do I just keep the boys and find a home for the girl? Or do I get Tater Tot neutered and put him with the girl? The only reason why this is an issue is because both of the babies were the ones I wanted to keep. I know that no surgery would probably be best but I also know that a girl and boy pair work really well. I also know two boys and one girl won't work. Sorry for the novel. My heart is just torn.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
It's really up to you, but overall I think it would be easier to rehome the girl. Otherwise you have to neuter Tater Tot, and there's always the chance the surgery won't work.

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I know this is probably silly. I'm just really attached to the girl. But I love Tater Tot and I don't want to put him through surgery

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Anyway to keep all of them in different cages? Keep the two boys together, the girl by herself and get her a girlfriend?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Either rehome the girl to someone who has girl piggies (or will adopt a female friend for her) or get her a female friend. If you get one male neutered to house with the female you will still need to rehome or separately cage the other male since 2 males will fight over any females, even if all piggies involved are neutered/spayed.

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
Super frustrated. I had reached out to my local pig rescue to see about adopting another friend for her. I previously had contacted them when I had all six pigs and wasn't sure I was going to find homes for everyone. I called them today to see if they had any single females and they won't let me adopt for a year because I had asked about them taking some of the babies. I understand they don't want to adopt to people who will just neglect them or give them up later. But I was just trying to do what I thought was best. So now I don't know what to do. I don't want to go to petsmart/petco. I ended up with a pregnant pig the last time I went through online sites. Now I just have a lone female. I feel like I'm being forced to give her away. I'm so heart broken.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
If you want to keep her, you still have options. There's are online posts for solo pigs with no risk of being pregnant. Also check out your local shelters. It's a bit uncertain because shelters often don't have background info on the pig. But some of the pigs have been waiting at the shelter a while that pregnancy is unlikely. I bonded a solo adult shelter pig (male) with my resident pig. Having males, I don't have to deal with the pregnancy factor, but females are supposed to be easier to bond.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
There are plenty of options besides the pet store. How about other rescues, or shelters? There's always Craigslist as well.

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
I checked with the Humane Society and they currently only have 3 boys. Craigslist is where I got my original two pigs from. That may still be an option. I did find a mom and pop shop that takes in pigs by my house. I'll be going to look at a little girl tonight. Thanks for the help. I just needed to vent. I know that the rescues just need to do what they find best for the pigs and I respect that.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
Vent away! I just lost a pig and I’m about to start the process myself. I’m so hopeful, yet still grieving, yet intimidated, all at the same time. But Osiris, my shelter pig, deserves a buddy again. Hopefully we both get lucky!

Nubbin

Cavy Slave
nothing helpful here, just wanted to say the names "Tater Tot" and "Hashbrown" are super cute!

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
I'm going to see about getting a girl this evening for Dilly!! The person decided that she "wasn't the pet for her". Poor girl is cooped up in a tiny store bought cage.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Yea! I hope it works out.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
It's really up to you, but overall I think it would be easier to rehome the girl. Otherwise you have to neuter Tater Tot, and there's always the chance the surgery won't work.

What? Neutering always works, what are you talking about?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Either rehome the girl to someone who has girl piggies (or will adopt a female friend for her) or get her a female friend. If you get one male neutered to house with the female you will still need to rehome or separately cage the other male since 2 males will fight over any females, even if all piggies involved are neutered/spayed.

I actually had two neutered males with 4 females with no fighting. it may have been the one male was 6 years old and the other male two years old. The girls ruled the roost and put the males in their place.

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
What Baby Should I KeepWhat Baby Should I KeepWhat Baby Should I Keep
I seriously can't handle the cuteness. I've spent the last 2 hours sitting on the bathroom floor letting them bond. They are acting like long last pals. I don't have a name for her yet, her new sisters full name is Bobadilla Stufflebean (Dilly for short) I was told she's 4 months old. She hasn't eaten much but it was a long drive and I bet she's still a bit stressed. I'll be weighing and keeping an eye on her.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
What? Neutering always works, what are you talking about?
oops should have been more specific. I meant it is risky and there isn't an 100% chance of recovery. Although that is very unlikely, there is still the chance of complications, not to mention the cost of the surgery. Overall, I see it easier to avoid neutering. That's what ended up happening anyways. sorry for the confusion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.