Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Do you bath short hair guinea pigs?

Guinea Pig Gal

Cavy Slave
So I am wondering if you need bath short hair guinea pigs or just long hair :confused: I've heard that you don't need to bath short hair guinea pigs but I'm pretty sure some people do. I wanted to know this so if the time ever comes I don't do something wrong to Butterscotch, so if you guys could help me out that'd be great :D

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I have two Abyssinians and I only give them "soaks" every once in a while as in like 1 to 2 times a year. I do this mostly to clean their feet and bottoms. I do not use any soap just warm water and a wash cloth. I set a towel in the bottom of the sink, fill it with about 2-3 inches (just enough that when they stand in it the water reaches their bellies) of warm water (a good gauge would be the temperature you would bathe a newborn in or slightly cooler), then I rub their feet and bum to get any nasty stuff off. They then get a carrot as they sit in a small cage on a towel for a couple minutes to dry and then they are returned to their cage to popcorn.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Any guinea pig can be bathed, you just don't want to do it too often. If you use shampoo just make sure it's safe for piggies.

Guinea Pig Gal

Cavy Slave
I have two Abyssinians and I only give them "soaks" every once in a while as in like 1 to 2 times a year. I do this mostly to clean their feet and bottoms. I do not use any soap just warm water and a wash cloth. I set a towel in the bottom of the sink, fill it with about 2-3 inches (just enough that when they stand in it the water reaches their bellies) of warm water (a good gauge would be the temperature you would bathe a newborn in or slightly cooler), then I rub their feet and bum to get any nasty stuff off. They then get a carrot as they sit in a small cage on a towel for a couple minutes to dry and then they are returned to their cage to popcorn.

Any guinea pig can be bathed, you just don't want to do it too often. If you use shampoo just make sure it's safe for piggies.

Alright, thank you ^-^ I don't think Butterscotch has ever been bathed (I don't think he needs to right now.. Or anytime soon) and I would of course get shampoo if needed :)

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
You can following piggielover200's instructions, but there's usually no reason to unless they get in a mess. In all my time working with my own pigs and shelter pigs, the majority being short-haired, I've only needed to bathe one, and she was in very bad condition. Usually you can just get a warm washcloth and wipe off any messes, no soap or soaking needed.

Also, be sure they are dried well and water doesn't get in their eyes or ears.

Guinea Pig Gal

Cavy Slave
You can following piggielover200's instructions, but there's usually no reason to unless they get in a mess. In all my time working with my own pigs and shelter pigs, the majority being short-haired, I've only needed to bathe one, and she was in very bad condition. Usually you can just get a warm washcloth and wipe off any messes, no soap or soaking needed.

Also, be sure they are dried well and water doesn't get in their eyes or ears.

Okay, thank you :D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you need to bathe them, get some guinea pig shampoo (kitten shampoo in a pinch) and be sure to rinse very well. Dry them thoroughly before putting them back in the cage, particularly if you've got air conditioning.

Guinea Pig Gal

Cavy Slave
If you need to bathe them, get some guinea pig shampoo (kitten shampoo in a pinch) and be sure to rinse very well. Dry them thoroughly before putting them back in the cage, particularly if you've got air conditioning.
Thank you for telling me ^-^

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.