Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Running laps around cage?

CavyLover00

Cavy Slave
My cavy runs around her C&C cage in like twenty laps every night. Is it just exercise? Sometimes she popcorns, so i'm assuming she does it when she's happy. I just need clearance.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
In my experience and from what I've heard from others, this is normal behavior. She's showing you that she is indeed happy. How old is she? If she's still a baby or very young that would be why. The younger piggies tend to have extra energy and love to play. When my girls were much younger they would run laps, or back and forth! It was so cute x3. If she's doing laps and pop corning she is definitely letting you know that she is happy. Some adult piggies will express this as my 1 year olds seem to do this, but not often. It's just one way to express happiness x3

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nascar zoomies.

CavyLover00

Cavy Slave
How old is she?

I'm not quite sure how old she is. She is around 6 months to 7 months, so i assumed it was just she is showing me that she's happy, but i wanted to be sure. Thank you so much for the reply!

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Yep, that's normal. She's a happy, lively little piggy!
My girls did that a lot when they were young. Now they're about 3. They don't zoom ver often now, but do funny little popcorns every now & then.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
mine do that as well
i call it their mad half hour...

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Your welcome! I understand though, in the beginning when I first adopted my original three they started acting really hyper when I put them in a 2x6 cage. My grandma had said they looked like they were "on crack" x3

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
My babies are constantly bouncing around in their cage! They are 12 and 13 weeks old, I call it their zoomies! There have been quite a few times where I have come and they have flipped their plastic hideys in all their craziness!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Zoomies/popcorning aren't necessarily a sign of happiness, but an expression of mental stimulation. It's usually happiness in my experience, because it always happens when I 'press the popcorn button', aka rustle the hay bag. But regardless of why they're doing it, it's totally normal pig behaviour.

CavyLover00

Cavy Slave
Aela, my piggy, seems to only do it when its "that time of the night" which is new food and alot of hay for the night. I noticed that after posting that she does it only when she knows thats when its food time.
Guinea Pigs are very bright animals, regardless of what anyone says.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
They truly are. When I switch from my big ceiling light to my lamp, which is always about 10-30 minutes before I go to sleep, my girls start to sort of wind down and relax, and fall asleep with me so to speak. You should take a look at the video someone posted of their pig using an abacus to count! It was posted recently so it shouldn't be hard to find :)

CavyLover00

Cavy Slave
My piggy knows her schedule. She knows her feeding schedule, her hay schedule. They are smart, as all rodents. Did you know mice and other rodents will risk their lives to save their babies? Its the sweetest thing ever.

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
my guineas always run laps, usually in the evening. they like to chase each other through tunnels and popcorn.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Mine run zoomie laps sometime between 10pm and midnight every day, it's hilarious.

slynnski

Cavy Slave
I just got my two piggies on Saturday, so they are still adjusting. However, this morning, when I gave them their pellets, veggies, and some fresh hay, my older, more outgoing girl Tallulah started spazzing! She was hopping and squealing and running little laps like a crazy person. It was so cute to see! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.