Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior How to stop them from chewing grids?

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello, I have previously posted that one of my boys recently broke three of his teeth, I'm thinking from chewing his grids and chomping his water bottle. Well, just last night I noticed a different pig of mine was totally missing one of his top teeth! He does not chomp his water bottle but he does chew grids. I'm lucky my third is not a chewer because I do not know how much more of this I can take. I know it should grow back but how do I get them to stop this behavior? When I notice it I startle them away from the bars, but that doesn't last long. It was recommended in another thread a set of grids which were shaped differently, which could make it harder to chew. I am wondering though, before I replace them all, if there's any way of controlling this behavior. I've had pigs in the past who chewed bars without any damage to their teeth so I don't know whats going on here. They get plenty of vitamin C so it should not be an issue with scurvy. Is there anything I can put on the cage to discourage it? I'm thinking taste wise, like how they have the paint on stuff for nails to discourage nail biting. Any ideas? Thank you.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
There is some reason why they are chewing the bars, they are either board, hungry, stressed etc. What is their daily schedule like? What kind of pellets, hay and veggies are you feeding and how much? Do they have snuggle places to hide and relax?

Do you have coroplast all the way up to the top of the grids? Mine chew crazy on their bars. One in particular has broken his teeth about 8 times in a little over a year. I mean broken to the gum not just a little chip! I extended my coroplast about 12 inches up so nearly all the way up to the top of the grids. He still chews on the coro a little but not as much as he did to the grids.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
I am trying to figure out why they are chewing the bars as well. I have two cages, one pig in one cage and two in the other. I have a sheet up where they could see each other because my separate boy and my oldest boy would fight and constantly try to get to each other through the cage (these are the two with broken teeth, but the sheet went up before they broke the teeth). My older boy has a buddy in his cage with him, my separate one does not because so far he will not get along with any other pig, and I am still paying off the medical bills from the fight he was in with my old boar so neutering is out of the question at the moment. They always have hay, usually timothy but sometimes orchard and I get sweet meadow brand. They always have pellets and water. They get veggies multiple times a day, spread out but most of them at night. They get lettuce mixes, carrots, green pepper, and cherry tomatoes daily and sometimes I mix it up with cilantro, cucumber, zucchini, etc. They have chewable tubes (Oxbow brand timothy tubes) to hide in and they have wood sticks to chew on. they are far less stressed now that they cannot see each other. I thought they were chewing to get my attention in lieu of wheeking, only my non chewer is a big wheeker.

I have 12 inch coroplast on one side 6 inch around the rest. Usually they stand and chew the top bars but really they have done it all around the cage. The cage sizes are 2x5 for the couple and 2x4 for the single.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
You are more than likely not going to be able to stop then from chewing their grids. No matter how hard i tried mr. Whistles still chewed his bars. Unlimited hay, toys, beds lots to explore. Floor time. Free range time. Different veggies each day. Still he chewed.

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer
I find that when my boar chews on the grids he always wants me to pick him up. I know he wants me to pick him up because that is the only time he doesn't run from me and just lets me take him out of the cage. Just a thought, good luck.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
If they don't just chew a certain section, you'd have to cover all sides which would be an issue when it comes to good air flow and light, depending on cage size & location.
And unless you use something see-through like clear plastic cubes or plexiglass, the pigs won't be able to see anything outside of their cage which can be a bit sad.

The holes on these cubes are smaller than on the ones I linked to earlier in your other thread, and the correct size panels. If you decide on plastic, I'd go with these instead.
The dimensions are the same as regular 14" cubes as I understand it, as they've probably included the connectors in the assembled measurements where it's 0.75" larger.
If they try to chew a bit on the plastic panels, it won't be a danger to their teeth at least. And it won't feel the same so they'll probably stop.

Neu Home WHITE POLYPROPYLENE CUBE SET OF 4 - For the Home - Closet Storage - Baskets, Bins & Crates
Neu Home BLACK POLYPROPYLENE CUBE SET OF 4 - For the Home - Closet Storage - Baskets, Bins & Crates

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
That's alot of money to spend on something they can just chew to bits.... (The plastic cubes) They'll chew those holes bigger in no time - not just for a sample either.
Better for their teeth, but once they notice they can chew it down - they will keep doing it, so it's just a waste of money. Also they could chew down the plastic into sharp edges and hurt themselves, or worse yet chew bigger holes and get stuck.
I'd personally just use plexiglass. To keep airflow, drill holes around the tops of the clear plexiglass so they won't be able to reach them to chew through them. They'll still be able to see through them, but won't chew or hurt their teeth on anything - everyone wins!:crazy:

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
That's alot of money to spend on something they can just chew to bits.... (The plastic cubes) They'll chew those holes bigger in no time - not just for a sample either.
Better for their teeth, but once they notice they can chew it down - they will keep doing it, so it's just a waste of money. Also they could chew down the plastic into sharp edges and hurt themselves, or worse yet chew bigger holes and get stuck.
I'd personally just use plexiglass. To keep airflow, drill holes around the tops of the clear plexiglass so they won't be able to reach them to chew through them. They'll still be able to see through them, but won't chew or hurt their teeth on anything - everyone wins!:crazy:

I'd say it completely depends on whether they are big plastic chewers or not, most pigs aren't. One of mine would bite grids, never plastic.
I have a few of the regular plastic cubes(without holes) and the plastic is durable, it would takea lot of time for a pig to ruin.

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
I'd say it completely depends on whether they are big plastic chewers or not, most pigs aren't. One of mine would bite grids, never plastic.
I have a few of the regular plastic cubes(without holes) and the plastic is durable, it would takea lot of time for a pig to ruin.

Don't count on it lol
It's up to OP what they wanna try first. Plastic cubes will protect their teeth, but she could find out they are regular chewers... If that's the case, acrylic sheets will be the next step - it'll eliminate all problems :D

My personal logic is, why spend money on the cubes to find out they might chew them to pieces, when you can spend (probably less) money on the sheets and not have to worry about it.
Just my two cents

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Instead of buying all new grids, just cover it in fabric.

That's what I do. Felix enjoys chewing a certain row of grids, so I have a strip of fabric I clip in when he's being a pain.

When he's not chewing, I take it off.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
How do I cover it in fabric?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.