Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Considering adding a basement to the cage

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
It looks beautiful..<3 my pigs are jealous!

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Just put some veggies at the bottom of the ramp, they'll smell it, see it and eventually go get it. ;)

My Penelope figured it out right away (she's the adhd adventurous one) still cautious though. Then my Maybelline is my scaredy cat so she was just sniffing it and putting her front paws on it (momma was still proud though! :p) after an hour I decided to help her haha I just put her in the loft and she was able to slowly come back down. Luckily she figured out if she could come down she could go up. It took them about a week to be completely comfortable with it though.

My loft is my kitchen so they have reason to go up there all the time, but they do like to run up and down it when they are feeling zoomy too hehe. Anyways since you have food down there, your odds are good they will use it, although they may need some "guidance" from mom. :)

Oh and you did an amazing job, it looks so professional!! Love your fleece too.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I think they don't like the material I have on the ramp (it's a rubber mat type thing), so I'm going to try covering it with fleece instead. They have used a fleece-covered ramp to their patio with no problems, so I'm hoping that will make them more comfortable with it. I'll give them some time to get used to it. Right now if I try putting them down there, they stay down there and won't climb up. And they make no attempts to go down once I put them back up. It's only been a few hours though, so they're probably still not used to it.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
It looks really nice. I like how it looks very well made and professionally built, not just scrapped together randomly (like my stuff typically is) :)

I'm sure they will eventually use it. Although, you never know with piggies. ;) I have my fingers crossed for you though! :D

I'm sure you could always just put them in the bottom basement area as well. Then they would climb up and would know about the spectacular basement area. Just a thought, although I can be a tad impatient. I can't see any harm in putting them directly into the basement though.

EDIT: Just disregard everything I said, I just saw your post above that you posted 2 minutes before I posted mine. lol

Hopefully covering it in fleece will help. Maybe they just are wary to step on an unfamiliar material, or are divas and nothing but the squishy fleece will do! ;)

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I'm kind of a perfectionist, so it's not acceptable unless it's exactly how I want it! That's why it looks so nice, lol. Thanks for the compliments!

I have tried putting them into the basement, but they seemed to think they were stuck there and didn't try to climb up the ramp. I am hoping that covering it with fleece instead of the rubber material will make them realize that they can go on it.

Last edited:

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
Don't get discouraged just because they don't use it just yet. Once they figured it out they will love it.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
About four years ago, my shyest pig didn't want to use the ramp I had built into their store bought cage. It took treats and patience. All in about three months :D just vw patient, I know your pigs will love it

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Still no ramp usage, but I added some lights!
I have to go to Joann later today to get some more fleece for a second set of liners and a ramp cover.

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
Wow, you have a beautiful cage, those are some lucky pigs.

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
Just a quick question... Do you think the ramp is at a too steep of a degree for them? Not saying that it is or isn't but that just might be reason they don't feel comfortable using it...

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Just a quick question... Do you think the ramp is at a too steep of a degree for them? Not saying that it is or isn't but that just might be reason they don't feel comfortable using it...

I don't think so. It's the same length as the ramps that the guinea pig cages store sells, so it shouldn't be too steep. I think the main problem is the material that's on it.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Look at this brave little baby venturing into the basement all by herself!

I found a scrap of fleece to put on the ramp, and she went right down! Obviously that fleece is very temporary, since it isn't really attached.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
I've heard of some people using cat scratching posts for friction against their feet. (Ofc it won't hurt their feet ^^) that's am idea, or Velcro.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
For some reason they'll only use the ramp if it has soft fleece on it, which is a bit odd since fleece isn't even very good for traction.

Rhoo is still chilling in her private suite (it isn't really private, but it is for the moment since Pumpkin won't us the ramp yet). I'm not sure if she knows how to go up the ramp.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Their cage looks amazing!!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Rhoo has been going up and down a few times now! Pumpkin still ignores the ramp though.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Eee that's great! Beautiful cage <3

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I was finally able to make a fleece pad to put on the ramp, and the pigs and I love it! Now Pumpkin and Rhoo both go up and down with ease. I'm so excited!

The ramp cover is a simple fleece pad with one layer of Uhaul in the middle and horizontal lines sewn on for better traction. The back has velcro squares sewn on, and I have corresponding velcro squares stuck to the coro on the ramp.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I like the cage, but I was more interested in the piggies. They look so curious at what you are doing, hanging out by the side and stepping up for a better look.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Way to be brave Rhoo!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.