Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise New pig may be a jumper!

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
New Pig is in a small cage for quarantine and I feel bad, so I made an area for her to run around in. It is connected to her cage so she can go back in it if she wants. Fast forward a few hours and it is time for me to go to bed. I check in on New Pig because her cage is not in my room.

She is NOWHERE!

I check all the walls and no, nothing out of place. The walls are big cereal boxes and none of them were pushed away. They couldn't because I put heavy things behind them. Apparently, she can jump 6 inches right out of there!

We did find her in the closet having a grand old time pooping everywhere and exploring. She was not happy to go back into the cage and not be able to get out, lol.
New pig may be a jumper!Who me?

EcthalionMCB

Cavy Slave
I have one who has a shelf in his cage. its 7 inches up. now, I forgot to give him a ramp back last time I did his cage, so he was jumping on and off of it like it was nothing. would here this loud BANG every few minutes as he leapt on, or off of it. once I realized what it was I was quick to give him back his ramp of course but still, he was making some spectacular leaps to get up there. he was SO pleased with himself.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)
I bet he was pleased with himself! That is high.

(broken link removed)
Now what do i do with her, lol.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
She’s a cute little troublemaker! Hermes loved it when he escaped from floor time too. I have to use jumbo boxes (1 3/4 feet high) for their floortime closure. Hermes can still get pretty close to the top when he tries to jump but never over. My other pig Icarus has jumped out of the bathtub (1 1/3 feet high?) twice now. They like keeping mommy on her toes.

Jmoore77

Cavy Slave
She is absolutely beautiful. I love her coloring.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Piggies can jump surprisingly high. Ferb once jumped about 14" straight up trying to get out of a bath (I caught him, thank goodness). New Pig is absolutely adorable!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Your piggy is absolutely gorgeous!

6 inches is nothing to my girls. They have a 6" high bunkbed in their cage that they hop up onto with no problem, even my lazy 3 year old. My 6 month old easily jumps 12 inches.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Piggies can jump surprisingly high. Ferb once jumped about 14" straight up trying to get out of a bath (I caught him, thank goodness). New Pig is absolutely adorable!

14 inches! Wow!

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Your piggy is absolutely gorgeous!

6 inches is nothing to my girls. They have a 6" high bunkbed in their cage that they hop up onto with no problem, even my lazy 3 year old. My 6 month old easily jumps 12 inches.

Thanks for the compliment. I was so surprised she got out. My other girls don't even bother to jump.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Outsmart her.........you can do that, right? ;)

I think I would start by making a barrier that you can easily set up/take down. String a number of grids together with just zip ties as connectors so that the structure can be folded for easy storage. You then connect the two ends with binder clips when set up. The grids are 14" high and it's possible that she may be able to scale them, but it's a start.

Be sure not to put any hideys or boxes near the perimeter where she can climb on them and then jump over. If you need a higher barrier, you can overlap grids so that the barrier is up to 21" high and it still be relatively sturdy.

I thought I already had outsmarted her, lol. I ran out of grids making their cage bigger so I had to use boxes. Going out today for more grids, for sure! lol

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Ick. Incoming guineazilla attacks. Brought to you by @Rywen and @Kelly9's very adorable,dreamy..(ohnonotagain) guineas!!

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I had a sow once clear a 2' high board with a good running start down the hallway. My current ones have popped out of their foot high cage a few times because some I got were incredibly nervous and reactive to sound or movement for awhile.

Loveskinnys

Cavy Slave
Thats so funny but in the moment scary I'm new to this website I. Currently looking for a female skinny pig if u know of any that need a good home please let me know I live in maine my number is 207. 899 8371 thanks loveskinnys

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.