Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting New Arrival Tomorrow!

Naming help, please vote for your favorite.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
I'm so excited to be adopting a piggy tomorrow that I just had share with you all!

IN386_22671487-1-x.jpg

Meet Brogan, he is the handsome little Peruvian that will be joining our family. He was rescued from a guinea pig hoarding situation in Kentucky where he was allowed to breed with sows. Poor boy was found in poor condition and is still a bit shy, but I'll be very patient and give him plenty of time to settle in. I hope he will get along with Leo, if not I'll be keeping them in seperate cages.

He is coming from a guinea pig rescue in Indiana and will arrive home tomorrow. His rescue mom is just as excited as I am that he will have a forever home and have a companion boar (hopefully). He is being transported by a wonderful system of volunteers on a rescue dog transport. Wish him a safe and easy trip!

IN386_22671487-2-x.jpg

charliespet

Cavy Slave
aw he is adorable! I am happy he's getting a fairy tale ending!

loveskittles

Cavy Slave
oh he is very hansome.. be shure to let us know how he dose.

Raine59

Cavy Slave
What a cutie! I hope you have your brush ready!!

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
So many rescues I've seen say "We don't ship." How'd you manage to get him sent to you like that?

There's not a lot of rescues around where I live and trust me, I've done the homework and another member of this site I messaged said the same thing- not a lot around here, so I know I know what I'm talking about. ;)

If I could get piggies shipped like that, it'd be easier to get a piggy. It's volunteer based, right? Do you owe any thing for pet travel?

Congratulations on the new baby!

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to post an update once he's here. And if anyone has any tips for managing his mop hair I'd love to hear.

So many rescues I've seen say "We don't ship." How'd you manage to get him sent to you like that?

There's not a lot of rescues around where I live and trust me, I've done the homework and another member of this site I messaged said the same thing- not a lot around here, so I know I know what I'm talking about. ;)

If I could get piggies shipped like that, it'd be easier to get a piggy. It's volunteer based, right? Do you owe any thing for pet travel?

Congratulations on the new baby!

I didn't really manage anything. I spoke to the owner of the rescue and she mentioned a dog rescue transport going to Wisconsin that has transported guinea pigs to Illinois for her before. Yes it is volunteer based, I had to pay a small transport fee to the rescue and I'll be giving a tip to the volunteer I meet up with.
I also want to give the rescue regular donations, she has sacrificed a lot for these homeless piggies and opened her home to them so it's the least I can do to help.

Not every rescue will have a network to help with transporting but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I volunteer with a cat rehoming network that does kitty trains on the eastern seaboard (from Fla to New England) and out to Ohio. I can help and can ask some of those volunteers as well, if needed.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
I had to pay a small transport fee to the rescue and I'll be giving a tip to the volunteer I meet up with.

I also want to give the rescue regular donations, she has sacrificed a lot for these homeless piggies and opened her home to them so it's the least I can do to help.

Oh, no doubt! That's not what I meant at all. I've seen pet trains like that on tv, but didn't know much about them. There's one rescue (and that's about it) in my area (3 pigs- 1 pair, 1 disabled piggy) that I would be donating to after I get my piggies (in the future, not sure when). I wouldn't mind fostering either since the group is really nothing more than a line of foster homes in the area. I'm sure they could use all the help they could get! So I know where you're coming from; just that, having never had the experience before, I was a bit foggy on the details. ;)

@Wildcavy That would certainly open up more possibilities for us. That is if you go as far north as Michigan?

I just thought there was a reason for the no shipping policy. You think you could line one up with rescues that say that? Or do rescues that say that prefer meeting with the adopting party?

Last edited:

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
:love: Congrats can't wait to here the update when he get here.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
@Wildcavy That would certainly open up more possibilities for us. That is if you go as far north as Michigan?

I just thought there was a reason for the no shipping policy. You think you could line one up with rescues that say that? Or do rescues that say that prefer meeting with the adopting party?

It would be up to the rescue if you are getting it from a rescue -- MGPR wants to meet you at an adoption meet, both to see you and to ensure that your current pig(s) get along with the new pig, but I don't know the policies of other rescues. Also if there is a Craig's List pig or someone who has posted on guinea pig zone, that would be a possibility.

The way it works with the cats is that the rescues generally have another rescue at the other end, so the adopters are known. So a SC rescue sending a cat to NY would have someone at a NY rescue who has helped match "long distance" so to speak. They never send a cat out to someone who just calls or something.

We've had people pick up legs up to lower Michigan a couple of times that I know of. The biggest challenge has always been getting everyone timed right on the same day. It usually works out. I've not organized the approvals between the rescues and adopters myself, though -- I just get an e-mail or call that says "we need a leg from DC to NY, can you help?" for example. I'm happy to be a leg on a pig train and to ask the cat folks if anyone can pick up a leg.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Oh, no doubt! That's not what I meant at all. I've seen pet trains like that on tv, but didn't know much about them. There's one rescue (and that's about it) in my area (3 pigs- 1 pair, 1 disabled piggy) that I would be donating to after I get my piggies (in the future, not sure when). I wouldn't mind fostering either since the group is really nothing more than a line of foster homes in the area. I'm sure they could use all the help they could get! So I know where you're coming from; just that, having never had the experience before, I was a bit foggy on the details. ;)

There are a lot of rescue groups that move dogs and cats that are about to be euthanized to foster homes or different rescues. There are people out there that regularly help out with a transport if it will save the life of an animal whose time has run out at a kill shelter. Sometimes animals seized from a hoarding situation need medical care so they go to different rescues to be checked and then adopted out once they know they're healthy. Some rescues will move guinea pigs between different rescues if one is at full capacity but they don't normally move guinea pigs long distances for someone to adopt them.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
Oh. Then what would you do if you were in my situation and wanted to adopt, but guinea pigs were nearly unheard of in your area?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Oh. Then what would you do if you were in my situation and wanted to adopt, but guinea pigs were nearly unheard of in your area?

We've had people drive all the way from Iowa to our rescue in IL near NW Indiana to adopt. There are rescues in MI but you'd probably have to plan a road trip or find our if any of their foster homes are anywhere near where you live. You can contact any rescue and do your paperwork online and drive to get them.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer

If you find a piggy / piggies on CL or guinea zone or from a rescue willing to work with you, please do let me know if I can help w/ the transport. I like to drive and goodness knows, if it means a piggy is getting to a good home, I'll do what I can. A lot of folks here will!

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
If you find a piggy / piggies on CL or guinea zone or from a rescue willing to work with you, please do let me know if I can help w/ the transport. I like to drive and goodness knows, if it means a piggy is getting to a good home, I'll do what I can. A lot of folks here will!

Thank you, WildCavy. That would mean the world to me. I can't get piggies- yet! because of our financial situation. (Building constructor hubby off during winter, currently looking for work.) But I will keep your offer in mind.

@pinky While it's not a bad idea, gas prices are high and not every one can afford to go on a road trip. But thank you for your suggestion. :)

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Congrats! He's so cute! So you are adopting Leo, huh? Hopefully they will get along! (Last I heard he was just a foster)

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
Congrats! He's so cute! So you are adopting Leo, huh? Hopefully they will get along! (Last I heard he was just a foster)

Thanks! Technically Leo still is a foster, I haven't had a chance to fill out the adoption papers but I plan to soon. I feel bad for "foster failing", if I found him a home I could take in another foster. But Leo is so comfortable with me now I can't bring myself to give him away, I'm too attached to him.
I don't think I can foster again, I'll end up with a house full of "foster failures"! lol

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
He is adorable! I just love the wild hairdos on Peruvians.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Your new piggy is adorable! I hope he gets along well with Leo! :)

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
He is home! Everything went smoothly and he is settling in. I attached a picture I quickly managed to take with my phone, I'll try to take better pictures once he is more comfortable. He is so skittish and nervous I don't think he was handled very often...or at all.

Also name suggestions are welcome! Brogan just isn't sticking with me, my sister suggested Reese but I'm undecided. Leo was named by a GPC memeber so I thought I would ask again.

Brogan.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.