Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad pet store pig, I am at a loss

AprilG

Cavy Slave
Please, just don't attack me ok. Just don't. I've been lurking long enough to know that is possible here. I am asking for advice to do a good thing. Or maybe nothing at all.

Here is the situation, I went into a pet store at lunch today. Well, after because it was close to where I ate. And I remember this pet store from a long time ago and was surprised to see it was still open. Well, I let curiosity get the better of me. I went in.

First of all it smelled horrid. Secondly, I should have just turned around and walked out. I know. I know. But, I walked around hoping that the smell was just an accident or a stinky cage. All the animals looked ok. Not great. But, fine. Fish were gorgeous. Birds, were pretty well taken care of. Nice big set ups for them. Two rabbits that were healthy but in small cages. And then the guinea pigs.

Oh no. There were about 10. The clerk was lovely, but not knowledgeable helped me because I had to see it for myself. They had a male, in a cage with another male that had a chewed and ragged ear. It looked scabbed, She said they were treating it with antibiotic (a topical), however he also had a side spot that looked like an ulcer? She said that he had been attacked by the other two males and that they had to separate him. He was with a male, and when he went to go in the igloo the male in there kicked him out, and seemed to attack him.

He is adorable and it made my heart hurt to see him like that. There was also no hay and the water bottle seemed empty.She took him out so I could see him and his ear was crusty underneath also. He also wheeked a lot, almost if he was hurt.

What am I asking? Should I go back and get him? I have a lovely vet that I wouldn't hesitate to see him. We tried to adopt a pig off craigslist that was a sad situation. They wouldn't drive halfway to meet us and then they stopped answering my requests to adopt him even if I drove the whole way. You can see that in the Introductions messages. We decided to wait till after the holidays to look again since there would probably be a lot of impulse buys. Please advise me on what to do? I know that the wheeking and the ear could be injury but, I looked at guinea lynx and it looked more like mites? Would we keep him? It is completely possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in this situation I'd probably go get him. Sigh. I myself do not even go to pet stores for this reason. I'd ask to see proof that he's been seen by a vet. I'd also raise such a racket that I'd probably walk out with a free piggy. However once he's gone another piggy will be brought in to take his place and so on. So you're in a tricky situation, your decision to make. Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

You better get him. He will be over looked by the impulse buyers.. He needs you

I do think you should offer to take him. I bet they'd give him to you for free, so you won't be supporting them. :)

Unless you can get him for free (or with a promise they'll help cover vet fees) I would say no. It's terrible, I know, but every time a battered animal is taken from a pet store that caused the problem to begin with, that's basically guaranteeing that another animal is going to suffer at their hands. I would suggest looking into reporting the store--there's absolutely no reason that guinea pig should be in the situation it's in.

Thank you so much for your honest and heartfelt replies. I have a lot to consider and talk to my husband about. Thank you for not attacking me. If I get him he may never be a great pet. But, at least I know he won't suffer. I don't think this pet store has a vet. Like petco, and petsmart. I'm thinking they just treat as they see fit. I've also got a 6 and 8 year old to consider in this as well.

Personally for me, I'd just get him. If they have ten pigs in the store that are not selling then they are not going to restock just because they dumped that one off. Not all stores stock 10 pigs at a time. All my local stores stock anywhere from 4-6 pigs on average. They want to sell babies and not get stuck with older, larger pigs which then will not sell because people want babies. I'd try to get him for free or for cost and tell them you expect him to require vet bills. But if it came down to it I'd just buy him.

If not, he may get returned to the warehouse or sold off as snake food. I'd just go get him.

Sounds like mites and/or ringworm (because you mentioned crusty areas). The ulcer on his side? Could be that he scratched himself raw from mites. Or could be an infected bite wound, which would require a bit more treatment than what the store is doing because it could be a infected puncture wound. If he does have ringworm, you have to be vigilant about good hygiene since humans can get it, too. I had a pig with ringworm and we washed after, wore a specific apron just for handling her, and didn't handle other pigs after. We were all fine.

My heart goes out to you - it is so hard to be in this position. Whatever you decide, stay the heck out of pet stores. So worth buying everything online to not go through this kind of torture. Best of luck - you have a huge heart.

I'd call your local humane society or animal control to let them know that there's an animal that looks like it needs veterinary care at the pet store and that they're only treating him topically. If it's not a chain store, they might get their guinea pigs from local breeders and will replace him if you take him. You taking him won't change the conditions for the others. Reporting them might.

I'd call your local humane society or animal control to let them know that there's an animal that looks like it needs veterinary care at the pet store and that they're only treating him topically. If it's not a chain store, they might get their guinea pigs from local breeders and will replace him if you take him. You taking him won't change the conditions for the others. Reporting them might.
This sounds like a win-win solution, for you and the pigs. :)
Then you can adopt the pig once the human society has confiscated it. :)

I'll ask my local humane society if they will get involved. Thank you so much for all your kind replies. Madrae I so agree with you. I will stay out! And thanks for your support.

I'll ask my local humane society if they will get involved. Thank you so much for all your kind replies. Madrae I so agree with you. I will stay out! And thanks for your support.
Great!! Please let us know what they say, and thank you for taking action!

I agree with those who say not to buy him. If they will let you have him for free (explain how you will need to take him to the vet for all of his problems) then walk away from him. And do try the local Humane Society.

Oh what a terrible situation, knowing me I would try to get them to to give him to me, explain that he is likely to cost you close to $100 for vet treatment with the consultation as well as medications and possible follow up treatment (it would cost that here easily). If they still do not let you have him offer to pay the cost amount but if they are stubborn I would probably just buy him so long as all the other pigs look healthy (if the others were in a simular condition I would probably just walk away knowing I couldn't take them all and report them to the humane society. Trouble is here the best we have is the local RSPCA and they wouldn't even bother with a Guinea Pig. We reported some people for neglecting to sheer their sheep in the middle of summer and after seeing a dead one in the paddock and the others hanging mouth open and panting we were sure they must do something but we never heard back about whether they were going to do anything about it or not, just got an email saying something like " we are extremely busy and will look into the complaint when and if we get the time" it was ridiculous! shortly after I think a new RSPCA manager took over who was supposed to be much better!!!!!! I couldn't leave him there if the others are all okay and he is the only one suffering......

To be honest, if it where me in this situation, I'd get the pig AND report the store. I'm actually currently debating taking on what looked like a lethal being sold in a pet store. I started off by speaking to the manger in store, explaining what a lethal was and how they should really have him in the adoption center, not the sale area, then how he needed vet care, to be fed by hand etc, and they weren't interested. I then contacted my local RSPCA and unfortunately, their policy is, if the animal has food, water and shelter, it's not in need of help. Not in need of help my a**. The pig seemed blind and was being bullied by every other boar in the cage.

So to cut a long story short, I'd get that pig out of there for the individual animals sake, and then report them to every animal rights association you can find to make sure at least one goes out and looks at the animals.

Thank you so much for your honest and heartfelt replies. I have a lot to consider and talk to my husband about. Thank you for not attacking me. If I get him he may never be a great pet. But, at least I know he won't suffer. I don't think this pet store has a vet. Like petco, and petsmart. I'm thinking they just treat as they see fit. I've also got a 6 and 8 year old to consider in this as well.

He may turn out to be a very great pet. Rescues know they have been rescued. Some of the most precious pets are rescues and have the best personalities.

I would be best to get him because he's probably not healthy and needs a vet so you should get him.

He may turn out to be a very great pet. Rescues know they have been rescued. Some of the most precious pets are rescues and have the best personalities.
Totally! Every one of my pets are rescues, and really traumatized, abused neglected, sick ones at that. Within a few months on a good diet, with fun toys and lots of love, they blossom into lovely lil' darlings. :)

I'm sure this same scenario is being played out in pet stores and pet mills all over the country every day. You don't see rescue groups buying dogs or cats to save them from conditions at Petland or any other pet stores that keep their animals in poor conditions. They confiscate animals that are in danger through ordinances that cover pet stores. I'm sure the main reason is the cost but it doesn't do any good when you consider that the selling of the pet isn't the problem. It's the mass breeding that leads to situations like this one. Personally, if there's no group that monitors the conditions at pet stores, I'd stay out of them unless you're willing to buy or bring home all the others in the same predicament because another one is likely to be put right back in his cage. There will be another and another just like him because people are taking them home.

In 9 days it will be 1 year since I got my girl from Petco. I had a stressful day at the unemployment office and it was next door. I walk in and right in front of me is an aquarium with a light blue igloo and a couple of food dishes with orange slices with a large clearance sign next to it. I had no idea what it was. I had in mind of eventually getting a rat or mice but didn't really know much about gp. I held her and the rest is history. I'd hate to think what would come of her being she was in the back room a lot and on clearance. Seems everyone was into babies and she was 6 mo.

I don't regret getting my girl. She is my gp soul mate. However, I don't go in pet stores anymore and don't buy from them. Makes me sad to think how many face being put down or tossed out because stores don't care about animals.

I'd say if you have your heart set on getting him then do it, but don't go in any pet store that sells animals again or you will face this again. Since I did it myself I can't say don't do it, but I will say stay out of the stores with animals. It will save you a lot of grief and you wouldn't be showing up as part of the demand for gps sold in stores.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.