Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Oops, I, Did it Again! *singing*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I was browsing Gumtree (the Australian equivalent to Craigslist I think) and came across a pair of piggies.
They came with a hutch for $30, and upon further investigation (I clicked the ad...I just wanted to sound cool) I found out that the two were a male and female that were 'best friends' and housed together for about 6 months.
I instantly replied to the owner, alerting her of this and shortly convinced her to surrender them.

Not sure when I'm having them dropped off, all I know is that I'm getting a soon-to-be "family" of guinea pigs and a hutch :)

Sballin

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the new additions! How many pigs do you have? Im guessing the female is pregnant!

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
@Sballin She isn't here yet, but once they're dropped off I'll be overrun with 21 pigs...

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
Why are you taking on more? What happened to the pig with the cyst/abscess that burst? Did she get to the vet?

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Why are you taking on more? What happened to the pig with the cyst/abscess that burst? Did she get to the vet?

Precious has made a full recovery (without vet interference) and I have a big heart, I did it because no one else here would.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
So the CL went away by itself with no antibiotics?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
That was only 3 days ago....

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Precious has made a full recovery (without vet interference) and I have a big heart, I did it because no one else here would.

I can not for the life of me figure out why, when your mother is so very oppositional, that you would get more pigs. A big heart is great but you need to start using your head a bit too. You have no real ability to get vet care. All of your pigs are outside. I have no doubt that you love them, and no doubt that they get the best care you can provide but adding more was not a well thought out plan.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I won't be keeping them of course. I'd find them new homes after the babies are born XD

pinky

Cavy Slave
I would not take on any more guinea pigs considering you haven't gotten any vet treatment for the one that might have CL. Considering how contagious it is, you could have exposed all of your guinea pigs to it. Even if it turned to be just a cyst, there is no way something like that could heal in three days. I've had guinea pigs with abscesses and cysts and they take time to heal, even with an antibiotic. What kind of vet fund do you have set up for 21 guinea pigs? Now I'm really curious to see what type of housing all of these animals have.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
No offense guys, but the fact of the matter is that I've healed her without a vet. Whether you like it or not, I proved you wrong. And all I get in return is defensive rudeness. Just relax guys. She's fine.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry (not really) but this is possibly the most immature thing I've read on this forum. What on earth are you thinking taking in MORE pigs when you can't care for the ones you have?! You didn't even have money to take the other one to the vet. What are you going to do if there are complications from the pregnancy?

When I was running my rescue I made LOTS of mistakes but I learned from them which you don't seem to be doing at all. When one of our rescues who was pregnant became suddenly ill we rushed her to THREE after hours emergency vets trying to save her. Eventually we drove her an hour away to try and get an emergency c section but it was too late and we had to let her go. We left our house at 10 and didn't get home until after 2 am. The vets were all very generous an charged us only for the visit. None of them charged us for a single x-ray or test. Even so we spent over $500. With the tests it would have been well over $1,000. Are you going to be able to do that? If not then you have no business taking in pigs.

I understand you are a minor and I was willing to cut you some slack in your last thread because of it but your attitude is TERRIBLE!!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
No offense guys, but the fact of the matter is that I've healed her without a vet. Whether you like it or not, I proved you wrong. And all I get in return is defensive rudeness. Just relax guys. She's fine.

There is no fact there and you have proved nothing at all. No pictures of a perfectly healed up pig. No testes confirming it wasn't CL. We weren't being rude, we were being realistic. You are in way over your head, with zero real support from your family. If something contagious sweeps through your little guinea pig community, you won't have any way to deal with it. The only thing you have proven to me is that you can only make decisions from your big heart, and a child-like heart at that. If you were coming from a more mature place you would see the points brought up here are valid and worth consideration.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Giant cyst holes do not heal properly in 3 days. Even if it didn't have a big pocket under it which it did. If it looks healed that means it healed from the outside and the inside can still fill back up. You should wait weeks to know if a guinea pig is healed and if it has a further illness instead of an isolated cyst. The entire herd should be on quarantine with nothing in or out and no handling of other guinea pigs until enough time has passed. Usually a 1 month quarantine is the minimum when checking for illness whether from something in an existing herd or bringing in new animals. Even if it doesn't happen this time what happens the next time and it does turn out to be something contagious. The time after that? The time after that?

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I hate this forum :)
you guys are seriously over opinionated.
I've successfully rehabilitated and rehomed about 20-30 pigs without the assistance of a vet. My attitude isn't terrible, I just get extrodinarily defensive and competetive.

And just so you know, I can't help my obsession with my beloved pigs. I have Aspergers (and ADHD and anxiety but those aren't really the issue) I'm very posessive, determined and ambitious. I'm only being defensive because I feel as though I'm being ganged up on!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I've got 2 outta 3 of those problems myself, which is why I can understand how this happens and why I feel comfortable telling you that you are making choices very impulsively and not looking at the big picture. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. If you had full support of your family I would be saying something different, but you don't. You are not looking at the big picture here. Defensive and competitive attitudes will not serve your guineas well. It's not a contest.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
@barbaramudge I understand :(
I'll leave the forum for the sake of you guys' sanity

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
It would be better for you to keep the valuable resources you have here.

Tarams

Cavy Slave
I think everyone would feel a little better if at the very least you showed us some pics of their living quarters. Did you ask your folks before taking more in?

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I think everyone would feel a little better if at the very least you showed us some pics of their living quarters. Did you ask your folks before taking more in?
For starters, there is only one 'folk'
Secondly, I am unable to take photos at the moment as mum has confiscated my phone while I study.
Thirdly, I've spoken with her and she's chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.