Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Using Pet Store cages combined to build a bigger cage?

BopBop

Cavy Slave
I'm a big fan of the "use what you've got" club. I currently have Hoshi in this cage:
Petco Bi-Level Small Animal Habitat - Indoor Rabbit Cage and Ferret Cage from petco.com
(without the ramp and extra level)
After searching online and in stores for a week we couldn't find any Cubes that where even close to safe. so we bought the biggest pet store cage we could find. It's really too narrow though I love the length and height.

I also have this cage:
(broken link removed)
And the wire top for this one:
Super Pet My First Home Complete Kit for Guinea Pigs at PETCO

I could buy a rubbermaid container to make a base for the wire top, or use Cloroplast I'm sure. I'd just have to take some measurements to make sure it would fit. I'd be willing to cut holes in it to make openings to get from one cage to another.

The Blue and Yellow cage has a top, and two different side openings so I might be able to use one of the all ready existing openings to attach it to another piece.

Thoughts? Would this help give my girl more space so she's happier? Or should I just sell the blue and yellow one and find something else to work with?
I was considering a few of those "playpens" as well but not sure. She seems VERY happy in her new cage and has been popcorning and talking and so much more social so I'd love to see her even more and in the future add a second pig.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
some people have made use of their old petstore cages as 'kitchen' areas for their piggies. i'd pick one you think is best for a kitchen and sell the rest :)

because i cannot find cube grids to save my life, i used playpen parts instead! it will take some firm zip-tying to make it nice and secure, but it works well and my piggies are happy in their large new home!
Using Pet Store cages combined to build a bigger cage?Using Pet Store cages combined to build a bigger cage?Using Pet Store cages combined to build a bigger cage?

if you really want cube grids, you should look on amazon, ebay, or even the C&C store on this website if you can afford it :)

BopBop

Cavy Slave
Haven't seen the c&c store on this site. Will have to check it out.
I do have to have the cage covered 100% as my dogs and cat think my girlie is a squeaky toy.
We did check/amazon and eBay before purchasing this cage but all the grids where too big. :(
We also looked at grill grates and a few other unconventional materials.

I also forgot but I have a wooden dresser as well that I could repurpose. But not sure where I'd put it. It's also more narrow than the cage we have now and it won't fit flat in a room right now. To big.

I'll keep pondering and scoping out what's available near me.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I think I would really recommend an actual C&C Cage over the combined pet store cages. I can see the combined pet store cages being really hard to clean and not very spacious.

The Guinea Pig Cages Store sells all the parts you would need to build a cage: Cubes and Coroplast Components and Cage Parts. They also sell ready-made cage tops: Covers for Standard C&C Guinea Pig Cages, single-level.

Bed Bath and Beyond sells safe grids: (broken link removed). If you don't have one near you, you could just order them online.

For coroplast, call around to different sign shops in your area. Tell them what size coroplast sheet you need, and ask if they have any slightly damaged or dented sheets you can use (I've gotten sheets that had a few small dents, but otherwise completely fine, for FREE). Make sure to tell them it's for a guinea pig cage. A good price for a sheet of coroplast is around $20. If you can't find any coroplast near you, you could order from the Guinea Pig Cages Store.

Good luck!

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I have a C&C cage and I use the pet store cage I bought as a kitchen. Using Pet Store cages combined to build a bigger cage?

BopBop

Cavy Slave
Are there any parts of the pet store cages I should save? I'll sell my ferret cage then and use the funds towards a c&c cage. Thanks for the tip on the sign shop! I have several near me that I can ask!

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@BopBop I have two good sized petstore cages combined and they work well, they are about the size of a midwest cage!

BopBop

Cavy Slave
Shewolf how did you attach that base to the cube sides?

BopBop

Cavy Slave
I really liked the Midwest habitat but the reviews said it was hard to clean and the top wasn't sturdy enough if you had cats so we decided that wouldnt work.
:(
Glad to know there are options out there. At least my girl is still tiny and I can get something bigger hopefully soon.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
@BopBop I've tried the Midwest cage, and it is hard to clean. Not worth your money.

I still have my pet store cages saved in case of an emergency, such as if a guinea pig is sick and I need to monitor him/her more closely or if we need to evacuate because of a wildfire or earthquake.

This page might be helpful if you end up building your own cage top: https://guineapigcages.com/safety.htm.

azkaland

Cavy Slave
We did check/amazon and eBay before purchasing this cage but all the grids where too big. :(
We also looked at grill grates and a few other unconventional materials.

I bought mine from Amazon, the Whitmor ones. One pack had enough for my 2x4 with 4 left over, so I used one for a fleece forest :D. I do have cats, but they aren't allowed in the piggy room, so you may need to buy 2 packs of the cubes. I haven't had any problems with them being too big, my coro sides are 6" high and I have a 12" back wall to keep hay and poo off the floor. Just make sure you don't size your coro until you get the cubes. I made my base too big and had a nightmare time trying to get the cubes to go around it, so connect the cubes first then measure inside and cut your coro LOL.

Also I think you mentioned sign shops, I called two different ones near me and asked if they sold full-size blank coroplast sheets and they both said they're around $15. You'd need two if you're going bigger than 2x4.

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
I use 2 pet store cages that I have combined side by side, and I use shelving to make a 2x2 loft. =) I like it alot and use a kitty litter box scooper. =)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Have you consider using closet shelvings? They are good for the lids. You can also use them for the sides of the cage. Keep the store cage for kitchen area.

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Lishar

Cavy Slave
Ok so I didn't read any of the posts but joining pet store cages is exactly what I did!!
I just cut the wire on the cages then joined the cages with thinner wire stuff...
I should have use cable connectors... :p Would have been alot easier xD

But I can't believe how small some cages are!! The one I use for the kitchen is about as big as a rice bubbles box!!

BopBop

Cavy Slave
I have a C&C cage and I use the pet store cage I bought as a kitchen.
How did you attach that to the sides of the C&C cage? I can't tell by the photo.

BopBop

Cavy Slave
Ok so I didn't read any of the posts but joining pet store cages is exactly what I did!!
I just cut the wire on the cages then joined the cages with thinner wire stuff...
I should have use cable connectors... :p Would have been alot easier xD

But I can't believe how small some cages are!! The one I use for the kitchen is about as big as a rice bubbles box!!

Do you have any photo's? I'd love to see! I think my larger cage would work well for this but I aso am strongly considering making a small C&C cage and attaching it as well to give some extra room.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
How did you attach that to the sides of the C&C cage? I can't tell by the photo.

There are grids under it that are zip tied to the cage and together and the cage bottom itself is zip tied to the cage frame.

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
Mine is similar to @SheWolfSilver 's. I use the bottom of a rabbit cage in our 2x5 C&C. It is flat on the floor of the cage and is not connected to anything. I did not cut a door in it in case it is ever needed for a quarantine cage, etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.