Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Guinea Pig Owner

Kiwi_girl

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! We are thinking about expanding our guinea pig family and therefore their cage as well. Their cage is 2?4 and we currently have 2 piggies. The cage sits on top of a desk and we were thinking of pulling the desk out from the wall a little bit and making a long ramp that runs behind it to another 2?4 cage on the bottom. So my question is, what should we make the ramp out of and how? Weve seen a lot of wooden ramps but are afraid of the piggies peeing on it and it seeping in and smelling so what else could we make it out of? We also dont want it to be slippery so we dont want to use coroplast. Any suggestions?

LightSeeker

Cavy Slave
Re: New guinea pig owner

I've seen people use coroplast and hot glue down some carpet for traction. I think that would work.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Carpet gets really yucky really quickly.

When I had ramps, I made fleece mats for the ramps that tied in place at the top and the bottom. They just went in the wash with the rest of the fleece, and gave the pigs enough traction to go up and down the ramps.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

I am traveling at the moment and don't have access to my cavy files. When I return home (hopefully tomorrow) I can post some instructions for making a ramp and include a recommended covering for it.

Kiwi_girl

Cavy Slave

Hello, my husband and I are looking to extend our little piggy family by 2 and we are wondering how long they should be quarantined for. The 2 new pigs are coming from the same place and we were wondering if they could be quarantined together away from our current 2 piggies and for how long. Thank you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

If you've got males, don't do it. More than two males together is pretty a recipe for failure.

Quarantine should be three weeks to make sure your new pigs don't give any diseases or parasites to the old ones. They need to be in a separate room, or they can transmit airborne diseases.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

So my question is, what should we make the ramp out of and how? Weve seen a lot of wooden ramps but are afraid of the piggies peeing on it and it seeping in and smelling so what else could we make it out of? We also dont want it to be slippery so we dont want to use coroplast. Any suggestions?

I'm happy this thread popped up again today. I realize that I promised to post information about making a ramp earlier in the month........so, here goes:

Making a Reinforced Coroplast Ramp
(broken link removed)

Insofar as covering the ramp, the best that I have found is stair tread material. You can find it at Home Depot in the flooring/carpet section. It comes on a roll and you need a 30" piece to cover a 29" ramp. The "ribs" in the material need to be oriented transversely (cross-wise) on the ramp for obvious reasons. I use a high-temperature hot glue gun to secure it on the ramp. Said glue gun is an invaluable tool for crafts projects in general.

I strongly recommend that you cover the edges of the ramp with plastic binders to keep the cavies from chewing on the ramp. I buy the binders in 24" lengths at Michael's crafts store where they are called "poster hangers". These particular binders are much thicker and tougher than the typical type that one would put on a presentation report. They are so tough that most cavies will attempt to chew and rarely try it again.

New Guinea Pig Owner New Guinea Pig Owner

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.