Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds New Guinea pig owner

DisaVelet

Cavy Gazer
Hiya! How’re you guys? All good I hope :) so I’m a New Guinea pig owner.. I have a male One (Brown and White one) his name is Alexios and a female one (White One) her name is Kallisto they live together I got them three days ago as a gift
So I just wanted to know why Alexios make a weird sound… (it sound like an engine sound to me) is he scared or happy? And why Kallisto always stick to him? Are they scared to be around me? What should I do to make them safe and happy? Thank you for your time :)

Please, please, please separate them immediately unless one or both of them have been neutered. Guinea pig pregnancies are VERY hard on both the sow and the pups, and the death rate is high. The pups are also very large in comparison to the mom, much more so than in most other species, and it's not at all uncommon to have one large pup block the birth canal and cause the death of both sow and pups.

When they're in separate cages, be sure there's a lid on the female's cage. A determined male can lift the lid on his own cage to get to a female in heat, but he can't lift the lid on her cage.

Also, guinea pigs are subject to several genetic diseases, some of which cause lifelong pain, and another that causes blindness, deafness, toothlessness, and results in a very short lifetime for the pig.

Guinea pigs are always scared of new situations. You'll have to be very patient with them to let them get used to you. Click on the Articles link above, and you'll find lots of information about caring for pigs.

Please, please, please separate them immediately unless one or both of them have been neutered. Guinea pig pregnancies are VERY hard on both the sow and the pups, and the death rate is high. The pups are also very large in comparison to the mom, much more so than in most other species, and it's not at all uncommon to have one large pup block the birth canal and cause the death of both sow and pups.

When they're in separate cages, be sure there's a lid on the female's cage. A determined male can lift the lid on his own cage to get to a female in heat, but he can't lift the lid on her cage.

Also, guinea pigs are subject to several genetic diseases, some of which cause lifelong pain, and another that causes blindness, deafness, toothlessness, and results in a very short lifetime for the pig.

Guinea pigs are always scared of new situations. You'll have to be very patient with them to let them get used to you. Click on the Articles link above, and you'll find lots of information about caring for pigs.
Thank you so much for your time :)
The male have been neutered and the female is still young
I Didn’t know about the diseases thank you :)

Great! I hope they're a long-lived, happy couple!

Welcome to the forum! It can take some time for guinea pigs to get used to a new home and new people. Make sure they have places in the cage where they can go to hide and feel safe; draping a few towels over a corner or two work wonderfully for this. Establish a routine early on so that they can learn to expect when they'll be fed veggies and pellets, when it's time to clean inside the cage, etc. All animals - and especially prey animals - feel most comfortable having a routine. From there, just take your time and go at their pace as they gain confidence and get used to you. Enjoy your new little friends, and don't hesitate to ask any questions! 😊

Welcome to the forum! It can take some time for guinea pigs to get used to a new home and new people. Make sure they have places in the cage where they can go to hide and feel safe; draping a few towels over a corner or two work wonderfully for this. Establish a routine early on so that they can learn to expect when they'll be fed veggies and pellets, when it's time to clean inside the cage, etc. All animals - and especially prey animals - feel most comfortable having a routine. From there, just take your time and go at their pace as they gain confidence and get used to you. Enjoy your new little friends, and don't hesitate to ask any questions! 😊
Thank you so much for your time :)
I’m always afraid that I’m making them afraid or anxious. I try my best to talk to them everyday and give them their space. I do try to feed them with my hand and they do take the food that I’m holding but they run away as soon as they take it, I hope that’s a good thing. I don’t really want to make them feel unsafe :( just looking at them helps me with my depression

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.