Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss I Think I Know Why Puffy Died!

PiggyLove1

Cavy Slave
I moved Carrot into my extra cage, and now he's eating a bit. If I had left him in Flynn's cage a week longer, I don't think he would have made it. I think that's what happened to Puffy. Fluffy didn't let him eat, they still stayed in the same cage, Puffy starved and died. The next pair of pigs I'm getting is a boar and sow or 2 sows.

natsmom26

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss. You just reminded me of the pigs I had when I was little that were named Puffy and Fluffy. I'm not sure if neutering would impact food dominance behavior or not. It may be worth looking into. Good luck. I hope Carrot bounces back.

JennasPigs

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for your loss. I don't know the usual behavior for Puffy, but i'm sure if he was hungry he would have squeaked and let you know. My guinea pig passed away of a sudden heart attack awhile ago, so that is a major possibility for Puffy. When we were talking to the vet he offered to send some of my pig's tissue samples to the lab to really find out what happened. I didn't take this, because I didn't want my poor piggies passed away body to be taken apart. It would have also cost LOTS of money. Make sure if you have two pigs of different sex one of them is spayed or neutered, but that is risky so its always best to just adopt two boars or sows. Hope you're okay, stay positive! :)

PiggyLove1

Cavy Slave
Thanks @JennasPigs and @natsmom26 . I will look into neutering them, but I might get another pig because Flynn is squeaking for Carrot, and I might have to keep Carrot in the other cage forever because he'll just get starved if I put him back. But I might get them neutered. It's just so expensive!:(

natsmom26

Cavy Slave
What if you had 2 hay, water, and pellet locations on opposite sides of the cage? Maybe you could put them back together and watch the behavior.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Thanks @JennasPigs and @natsmom26 . I will look into neutering them, but I might get another pig because Flynn is squeaking for Carrot, and I might have to keep Carrot in the other cage forever because he'll just get starved if I put him back. But I might get them neutered. It's just so expensive!:(

Based off of everything I've read, neutering doesn't change their behavior.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss :(

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Haha....see I know I always read neutering doesn't change their behavior but in my experience It has so I think it does.
When Rex and Bubbles hit puberty and started fighting nothing worked...so we got them neutered and then they've got along since, then I introduced Ron to their group to and when he hit puberty he started to fight Bubbles for the place of being the leader...well we got him neutered and after 3 weeks Bubbles jumped into the part of the cage I'd put Ron to and there was no fighting what so ever.

I've also seen the same change in calming them down after neutering in the male pigs we have had de-sexed via the rescue...I know many of you don't believe it does anything but I do and I have personally seen it for myself.

piggypuppylove

Cavy Slave
What if you had 2 hay, water, and pellet locations on opposite sides of the cage? Maybe you could put them back together and watch the behavior.

This is a really simple solution, but I have found that with boars, you need at least two of everything in order to keep the peace. If they weren't fighting, I would try it out and monitor them to make sure everyone is eating.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
I dont know why nuetering doesnt change their behavoir. Your taking out their man parts that make male hormones. :p Im confused.

JennasPigs

Cavy Slave
@PiggieGuinea This works with rabbits, but with cavies it just doesn't. I guess once a man always a man. Honestly, I'd just get two of the same sex. Seems like a lot of money, a high risk, and extremely stressful for the pig to get neutered.

PiggyLove1

Cavy Slave
I'm hearing neutering works and I'm hearing it doesn't. It's a risk. It's expensive and what if it doesn't work? I don't think I will do it, but thanks for the idea @RodentCuddles

lissie

Cavy Slave
I am very sorry for your loss. He might have had underlying issues. I hope you are weighing your remaining pigs at least once a week.
Sometimes weight loss is the only indication that a pig is sick. I have never heard of a pig starved to death because of the other pig guarding food.

Based on your profile, your cage is a standard cage and a midwest, that's not big enough for 4 boars.

Please don't get anymore pigs for now.

If you plan to keep your 3 boars together, make sure that cage is large enough (2x6 or 3x4, or bigger), and you have separate food areas in the cage. Each pig should be able to eat without the other blocking access to food.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
Sorry for your loss. I think if he was starving you would have been able to notice the weight loss, but I am not an expert. I would just suggest it may not have been that and could have been an underlying issue. It is hard but sometimes they seem to die for no reason, and often its a hidden reason like an underlying heat problem. I had a boar with difficulty eating who needed to be force fed and was just skin and bones, very noticeable. You should be weighing your piggies at least weekly, more oftne if you suspect a problem. Another thing I'd suggest is making sure, as others have said, two of everything and hideys with at least two entrances- no pigloos unless there is a way out so they cant trap each other.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss and wish you only the best for you and your piggies.

PiggyLove1

Cavy Slave
@lissie I don't have 4 boars, 2 are dead, but thanks for the concern. I cureently have 2 living boars. Fluffy passed in March, then I got Flynn and then Carrot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.