Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C 2x3 cage question

ChesterThe Pig

Cavy Slave
I am going to order the 2x3 deluxe covered cage from this website soon for my one baby guinea pig, Chester. I might be adding a friend for him soon, also. I know this cage isn't as big you guys would like for two piggies, but it really is the biggest one I can fit in my limited space. This is going to be my first c and c cage, and I'm kind of nervous about it. Have any of you guys have or had this cage at one point? Even if you haven't do you think it is good quality? Easy to put together? Thanks!! :)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
My first C&C was a 2x3. I made it myself and it was pretty easy to make.

Whispers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hey, I currently have a 2 x 3 c&c for my two boars but I'm upgrading soon to a 2 x 6. I'd definitely recommend a c&c cage and whether you buy it through here online or source the products locally is up to you. As I live in Australia I've bought everything locally and it's really easy to put together. I'd imagine the quality of the c&c cages they sell here online would be fantastic though. A 2 x 3 is the minimal size for two pigs and more room is always recommended when keeping boars together. When I first set up my cage I was positive that I could only fit a 2 x 3 but now I've moved things around and I'm making room for their 2 x 6 :D. You mentioned that you're nervous about getting a c&c cage, are there any particular things your unsure or have questions about?

ChesterThe Pig

Cavy Slave
Hey, I currently have a 2 x 3 c&c for my two boars but I'm upgrading soon to a 2 x 6. I'd definitely recommend a c&c cage and whether you buy it through here online or source the products locally is up to you. As I live in Australia I've bought everything locally and it's really easy to put together. I'd imagine the quality of the c&c cages they sell here online would be fantastic though. A 2 x 3 is the minimal size for two pigs and more room is always recommended when keeping boars together. When I first set up my cage I was positive that I could only fit a 2 x 3 but now I've moved things around and I'm making room for their 2 x 6 :D. You mentioned that you're nervous about getting a c&c cage, are there any particular things your unsure or have questions about?

Hey this is really off topic, but you mentioned you have two boars. I think I am more nervous about getting a second boy and trying to bond them. So how did you do it? like, how did you introduce them? Was there a lot of fighting? Thanks!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I am actually thinking of down sizing my two older boars( 3 1/2 years old) to a 2x3, all they do is eat and sleep. My mind keeps saying they need more room to run( my young guys do) but these guys seriously either eat or sleep. I mean I do see them move from the covered area to the kitchen, maybe lay at the corner and watch us but for running around or anything else, nope. Aside from making them walk from one end to the other.

IMO, since you are getting a young pig and will most likely be adding another, I'd start with the 2x4. Young pigs do run around a lot and its better to order more than you need now instead of wasting the money and having to order more later and maybe not being able to use what you got the first time. Its a $30.00 difference not including extra shipping charges. I know you said you have limited space but many of us found more space by rearranging or eliminating something.

As for the products sold on this site, I have been very happy with all I have purchased from them, the shipping has always been very quick too. I think I live close to where the product comes from.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Chester, most with boars have them paired. I even had my four boars together for a few months but the young ones bugged the old guys too much. Pairs normally work really well. But they do need more room.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Personally, I think it depends on how many times a week you are planning to clean. 2x3 C and C is a really big cage compared to store bought. Most people feel that bigger is always better. Fleece needs to be changed more often than shavings. It is funny how much bigger grid cages are in person. Right now I have a 2x2 set up for my small baby which in grid sizes is 30" x30" square. I built it with a stand and a cover. This is just a 2x2 and it is as wide as my couches!
2x3 cage question
2x3 cage question

She will stay in this for the next couple of months as a quarantine cage and it is pretty big compared to store bought cages. I also have a 24 inch x 36 inch (not C and C) set up for my other baby teddy we just got. I have to sweep it at least once a day, move the houses around everyday so under them can dry out and change the fleece every 2-3 days. This is a bit smaller than a 2x3 grid C and C cage which is about 30" x 45"

You could also consider a 2 level 2 x 3 which would be a lot bigger (and like having one 2x3 for each pig) with the top part having a lift up top and then the fronts of both levels dropping down. I recently saw a video of a cage like this (on this message board) and it gives a whole lot more room. They made the coroplast front drop down as well so you can reach in and sweep everything out really easily. I love this idea. So instead of tape I am going to do my coroplast base in my 2x2 with velcro to close it.

As for assembling the cage the connectors are a little annoying. I used the connectors to put mine together and then I used cable ties on every joint so it is super strong. I think if I did it again I would have skipped the connectors and just cable tied it together. I didn't buy my cage from the store so I didn't have instructions, I just looked at a bunch of cage photos online. The store cages come with instructions. I am not sure when you are ready to shop but I just saw on their site they have (2) 2x3 imperfect cages as well as other sizes on sale for 30% off. I think the 2x3's were about $40. each plus shipping. That is a good deal. My 2x2 in the photo cost me $55 (42 for the grids and 15 for the coroplast, I bought off amazon and at my local sign guy for the coroplast so no shipping charges for anything).

If you put them together to make a double stacker you would still need 6 extra grids since the cages from the site don't come with bottom grids.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have to agree with Traysea, it is a must to use zip ties. I love the look with the connectors though but in limited space, depending on the size of the cage, you can save inches not using the connectors.

Whispers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hey this is really off topic, but you mentioned you have two boars. I think I am more nervous about getting a second boy and trying to bond them. So how did you do it? like, how did you introduce them? Was there a lot of fighting? Thanks!

My boys were fine when I introduced them, there was only the usual rumble strutting and my older boar was pushing the new young one around a bit (just showing him who's boss) but there was no fighting or biting. All pigs are different though and some people have had problems but I defiantly think it's worth getting a friend for Chester and just see how it goes. I introduced mine on a large piece of fleece on the floor away from their cage, put them at opposite sides and let them find each other. Now that my young one will be going into puberty though soon I do find that they seem to be getting into each others face a bit in the 2 x 3 and it's making my older boar (he's just over a year old) a bit grumpy. If a 2 x 3 is the biggest you can have maybe look at putting a loft on the second level otherwise a fleece forrest or pigloos are good. if you do have just a tiny bit more room I would recommend a 2 x 4 though :).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.