Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage DIY Travel Cage?

Rabbott

Cavy Slave
I will be adopting my guinea pigs on Monday and don't know how to travel with all of them. I am definitely getting two pigs but might get four. The shelter has four pigs total (they would be introduced into two pairs but are currently kept alone). I need to find a way to travel with four guinea pigs who are currently living alone so each one needs its own travel cage. Are they any safe DIY travel cages?

Currently I have one cat/dog carrier and one pet store cage. That should work as a travel cage for one pig each. I want to bring travel cages for four though. Is there any way to make a c and c travel cage? I have 23 grids including the ones to make the cage but I can put the cage back together just fine. What I was thinking is if I make a c and c travel cage it could be a 2 by 2 with grids on top that I would secure in the back of the car on towels/fleece. I guess have a bunch of different sizes of cardboard boxes from when we moved. I don't want them to be in a box though.

Also they will be in the car for around 3 to 4 hours. I will make sure each of them always has water, hay, and food throughout the entire trip.

Thanks all

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
If it's a 3-4 hour drive, I would definitely bring some wet greens and put a little pellet food in with them. Even if they're frightened and might not eat much, that's a long time to go without food and water for animals with such fast metabolisms.

It's probably unlikely, but if the shelter allows you to do introductions there, then I'd consider transporting them in pairs after a promising introduction, and then continuing the intro at home. Putting them together for the first time in a tiny travel cage seems like it could go wrong quickly, though, and you might not be able to pull over if there's suddenly a fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Folks, I wouldn't put pigs that have just met in a small travel cage even if they are going in a car. I'd much rather transport them separately and then do full introductions when they get home.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Oh, I agree. I think I wasn't clear enough. There are shelters that will let you lengthy introductions there, the one I volunteer at being one of them, but I'd still only consider putting them together, and definitely not for a 3-4 hour drive.

Rabbott

Cavy Slave
I think that I can separate part of the cage and fit it in the back of the car. Is that safe if I have an open topped C and C cage (with four separate areas) that I strap into the car? I can ride in the back of the car as well to watch them the whole time. I will not be introducing them until we are home. I wish I had enough time to at the shelter but I don't want to risk a fight in the car.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.