Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) I can I convince my mum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
I do not recall anyone asking that. I DO recall that I encouraged you to let him know the law so that he can make his own choice. He may be unaware that the next bite may cost him ten years in jail. Shouldn't he make that choice? AND I am not saying the dog has to be put down. It can be evaluated and placed in a situation that is safer for everyone. After all, didn't you say that his son let the dog in because he thought it would be fun to do?
The boy wanted my guinea pigs to muck around with and I said no cause I hate him I dont like him. So he thought it would be funny to let the dog inside and see what would happen. Its not the dogs fault it was bred to hunt pigs. the guinea pigs just made a sound that must have sounded like a pig and that is what trigger her to attack. To some people who only know me through text on this website. Dont tell me that i need to give away the dog cause my mums partner is inexperienced. He has had pig dogs for 35 years. The dog is perfectly harmless to the guinea pigs its just when the guinea pigs make the noise

Lucille

Cavy Slave
The boy wanted my guinea pigs to muck around with and I said no cause I hate him I dont like him. So he thought it would be funny to let the dog inside and see what would happen. Its not the dogs fault it was bred to hunt pigs. the guinea pigs just made a sound that must have sounded like a pig and that is what trigger her to attack. To some people who only know me through text on this website. Dont tell me that i need to give away the dog cause my mums partner is inexperienced. He has had pig dogs for 35 years. The dog is perfectly harmless to the guinea pigs its just when the guinea pigs make the noise
You are in denial. The dog harmed you. Killed a guinea pig. And your law says that the next bite may have legal consequences to your Mom's partner. You are not listening. You are in denial.

MissJean

Cavy Slave

You're not making your situation seem any safer. You can't train guinea pigs to not make noise.

If you really did get your hand bitten, have nerve damage bad enough that you are not able to do previous activities, then clearly something should have been done. Yet, you defend the dog *and* your mother's boyfriend. The only thing that you said was done about the dog was slap an electric shock collar on it, which to me says your mother's boyfriend isn't very knowledgeable with dogs. Putting a shock collar on a dog with no additional training is ludicrous and irresponsible. Not that I agree with shock collars in the first place. Was your hand really bitten that badly? I'm starting to become suspicious.

I honestly don't think you should be pigsitting, either. Your home does not sound secure. You asked us for our opinion, yet ignore all of us. What is the point of all this? Your mother sounds like the most mature person in the household as evident by her realizing your home is not safe for small animals.

I get that you're a child and you *really* want something, but you have lots of life ahead of you. When you move out you'll have control the entire environment of your home/apartment/duplex/cardboard box. You do not have control of your environment at this point and the adults in the house are not taking appropriate action. Not having a guinea pig at this point in your life will not destroy your childhood.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I am not going to ask my mums partner to get his dog put down just because it bite me a couple of time as I was trying to defend my guinea pigs doesn't that mean anything that I tried to defend my guinea pigs or was that a act of stupidly. Here in Australia we have our dogs outside and sometimes you may get those people who have them inside. The dogs outside want to live let them dig holes role in stuff that make them stink then give them a bath and you might get them and take them into the dam to swim. The dog that attacked my guinea pigs are actually harmless I can take a photo if you like and show you. I am babysitting a friends guinea now for 3 weeks

She wasn't saying to have him put the dog down at all. She said that she recommends you let him know about the one-bite rule so that he doesn't end up in jail or anything like that as she stated in a reply to this already.

I think that the dog should be re-homed however, to someone that can handle him better and who doesn't have any other pets. Dogs should not be permanently kept outside. Honestly I think that's pretty cruel, regardless of how many other people around there keep them outside 24/7.
And the dog that attacked your guinea pig is NOT harmless. He already killed a loved pet and hurt you.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
The dog is perfectly harmless to the guinea pigs its just when the guinea pigs make the noise

Again I would like to express that if he attacked the piggies, it doesn't matter what sound they made, then he is NOT harmless. I'm sorry but that's just how it is. I understand that he was just doing what's in his nature, but that does not mean that he's harmless.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is she right should I give up on guinea pigs or is there I can try and convince her?

You asked if we think you should give up on Guinea Pigs...everyone has said for the safety of any guinea pigs not to get any until for some reason the dog is out of the picture.

We all do not agree with you trying to convince your mother to bring a guinea pig into your house with the potential of the dog killing them again. It is just far to risky.

You have asked for our thoughts on the matter, we have all given you the same reply yet you ignore our reasons. It seems like you've already made up your mind, but we all hope you change it.

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
You guys only know me through text so how would you know how my leaving are? I have made up my mind and I am not going to get another guinea pig. Just a child you dont even know me? you dont even know how old I am? I am not just a child I am a person who is very stubborn and stand by what I have said.

theguineapigguy

Cavy Slave
You guys only know me through text so how would you know how my leaving are? I have made up my mind and I am not going to get another guinea pig. Just a child you dont even know me? you dont even know how old I am? I am not just a child I am a person who is very stubborn and stand by what I have said.
I dont understand whats happening.. Your saying everyone here is judging you and how they dont know you and dont know your story etc.. Why did you open up this thread then? All your doing is complaning people are judging you, even though they are just trying to help you out. If your not a child, then you must be extremley inmature, a mature adult would realise this situation is not safe for a pig and NOT make excuses. Plan and simple really.

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
all this guinea pig stuff happened 8 months ago
I adore guinea pigs and I just want another guinea pig cause they are adorable I love their noises they make and the way they popcorn

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Well the pig dog broke into the house cause it could hear the guinea pigs. I tried so hard to save them, I have 4 dog bites to my arm and hand. I sadly lost one. The dogs owner even disciplined the dog and helped me try to save the piggies.

This

They were in the C&C when the dog attacked. The dog has had a electric collar for 4 months now since it has happened. My friends have brought their guinea pigs out or we have taken her in and she has not dared touch them. The dog has done nerve damage to my hand and i cant ride my horses which i adore but its getting better

This

His boy was the one that let the dog inside he thought it would be funny if he let the dog inside.

This

The dog that attacked my guinea pigs are actually harmless I can take a photo if you like and show you. I am babysitting a friends guinea now for 3 weeks

This

The boy wanted my guinea pigs to muck around with and I said no cause I hate him I dont like him. So he thought it would be funny to let the dog inside and see what would happen. Its not the dogs fault it was bred to hunt pigs. the guinea pigs just made a sound that must have sounded like a pig and that is what trigger her to attack. The dog is perfectly harmless to the guinea pigs its just when the guinea pigs make the noise

This

I am not just a child I am a person who is very stubborn and stand by what I have said.

And this, pretty much make this conversation pointless. You have already made up your mind and are going to do what you want to do with no regard to yourself, this dog or the guinea pigs. You have said yourself, multiple times, how your home is not safe for the pig and for the exact reasons why it is not. I don't understand why you would even consider it beside the fact that you just "want to".

This dog is not harmless, besides the fact that it killed a prey animal, it attacked a human. They were not bred to hunt humans, and I don't really care what you were doing to protect your piggies, the dog should NEVER have bit you let alone 4 times and I really don't understand the logic of why your mother would even allow this dog near you afterwards but I guess that is for your family to decide. NO dog or animal for that matter would be living with us if it attacked my child, I don't care what the reason was. Period.

To top it off, bringing your friend's guinea pig into an unsafe environment is just completely irresponsible.

Lucille

Cavy Slave
I am a person who is very stubborn and stand by what I have said.
It is hard to stand up in a group and say 'I was wrong' but sometimes, it shows great strength of character to do just that. I think you should reflect on the fact that everyone is trying to help, and that your situation at your home remains risky. The pigs are gone, but without intervention the dog could harm you or others again.
Being stubborn can be a good quality at times, but not here. In this situation, it might be a fatal quality.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I would just like to point out that any rescue or shelter will not adopt you guinea pigs because of the death of your other one, well at least I know the SPCA here wouldn't nor would I. But that is if you were to truthfully tell them what happened to your other pigs.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I would just like to point out that any rescue or shelter will not adopt you guinea pigs because of the death of your other one, well at least I know the SPCA here wouldn't nor would I. But that is if you were to truthfully tell them what happened to your other pigs.

Why wouldn't they adopt them because of the other one's death? Sorry, i'm just a tad confused.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Why wouldn't they adopt them because of the other one's death? Sorry, i'm just a tad confused.

Well, I don't think they'd be very responsible if they did. The same dog lives there, the same house..the same conditions.
They gave away their other two piggies because of the dog and by the sounds nothing much has changed. If the rescue or shelter knew about what had happened then I don't think it's very likely they'd let them adopt the pigs.

But that's just what it's like with the SPCA here and how I run my rescue.

To me, It just doesn't sound like a safe household for a guinea pig right now. But that's just me and my thinking.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Well, I don't think they'd be very responsible if they did. The same dog lives there, the same house..the same conditions.
They gave away their other two piggies because of the dog and by the sounds nothing much has changed. If the rescue or shelter knew about what had happened then I don't think it's very likely they'd let them adopt the pigs.

To me, It just doesn't sound like a safe household for a guinea pig right now. But that's just me and my thinking.

You know what I read that completely wrong. lol I thought you were saying that the shelter wouldn't take in their piggies. I'm kind of out of it but I see what you meant now, my bad. :crazy:

MissJean

Cavy Slave

The OP would probably just buy from a pe tstore if he really wanted a guinea. Why would he care where it comes from? He doesn't seem particularly concerned about animal welfare.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
The OP would probably just buy from a pe tstore if he really wanted a guinea. Why would he care where it comes from? He doesn't seem particularly concerned about animal welfare.

You're right. He/she already mentioned getting one from a pet store: "is there away that i can stop myself from wanting a guinea pig and stop having the urge of going to the pet shop to look at the piggies and then actually come home with one."
But I will give him/her the benefit of the doubt of not knowing why pet stores are so bad.

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
You're right. He/she already mentioned getting one from a pet store: "is there away that i can stop myself from wanting a guinea pig and stop having the urge of going to the pet shop to look at the piggies and then actually come home with one."
But I will give him/her the benefit of the doubt of not knowing why pet stores are so bad.
haha you dont even know so why so stuff like that. I was going to leave that where it was but no you had to come along and burn the heat up on me again. We only have two pet shops that sell guinea pigs and they are both in partner with each other and they both get their guinea pigs from shelters I asked when I rang them up. I got one that was 3 years old, 2 years old and 1 week old when the mum left it to die.
FYI I am not a he I am a HER!!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
haha you dont even know so why so stuff like that. I was going to leave that where it was but no you had to come along and burn the heat up on me again. We only have two pet shops that sell guinea pigs and they are both in partner with each other and they both get their guinea pigs from shelters I asked when I rang them up. I got one that was 3 years old, 2 years old and 1 week old when the mum left it to die.

I wasn't trying to disrespect you so you need to chill. All I said is that you were thinking about getting one from a petstore, i don't personally think that that means you're not concerned about animal welfare. I wasn't even the one who posted that and i even said i gave you the benefit of the doubt of not knowing why pet stores are bad.
And okay? You're gonna be pissy because i don't know if you're a boy or a girl? You're ridiculous.

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave

Calm down lol @Aleks is probably the least harmless or offensive person on this forum :D

This thread seems like it's going round in circles. Are you looking for closure or something?
Put simply, some dogs just don't get on with other animals at all - including smaller ones. I'm a believer in sticking up for dogs and being on their side, but there are cases like these where nothing you do will help.

Ultimately it really is up to you, but don't ask for opinions on here then flame what people tell you. Everyone on this thread is telling you they think you shouldn't do it. You asked for the advice, you asked if you could/should convince your mum. Short answer:
No, you'd be wrong to try and convince her in a situation like this and she'd be putting herself, her partner, the dog and you & guinea pigs in danger by doing so. So i'm gonna concur with what she says also.

Everything else you say is just dressing or sugar coating, it's all 100% irrelevant. You could skip to Peru and pick up a herd of pigs from the Andes, but the fact remains the dog is still a threat to Guineapigs (possibly to you as well by the sounds of things). Shelters, petstores, cagetypes, food [insert everything else here in existence] is all meaningless in this case and will not change the original facts.

Getting guinea pigs with that dog still anywhere near where they are living, is cruel and ignorant. Period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.