Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea pigs in your room, GOOD IDEA? Or not?

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
What do you guys think on this??? I'm thinking on moving my piggies to my room. Only becuase of space. If they are housed in my room they will have a MUCH larger cage. Hoping to move after christmas due to money. I pay most of my guinea pig's esstentials. This encludes cage expansions.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Its up to you really! If you're okay with having them in there then it's a good idea :) bigger the cage the better! It's really up to you and if you want their cage in there :)

aterriblefate

Cavy Slave
my pigs are in my room, and they're really happy. I have two dogs and an autistic brother so my guinea pigs have to be kept where they are. I find it helps me monitor their health more. and the bigger cage is a HUGE plus :)

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
I 100% want my piggies in my room. But my dad wants to think about it and i dont blame him. It's his house. But what I was thinking to do is put a 3X4 Or 2X5 In the corner of my room. And put a rug/mat THEN ontop of that, a pice of lino then of course the C&C cage. What are the pros and cons of keeping them in your room? @Lagertha @aterriblefate

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, the owner of this site doesn't recommend pigs being housed in bedrooms. A bigger cage may come as a trade off to more interaction with the family, if they're currently located in a room where people frequently are. So long as the cage is an adequate size, I'd much rather see them be housed in an area where they are noticed all the time, and people are stopping by to pet and feed them, than to put them in a larger cage in an isolated room.

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
My piggies are in the house, but where they are housed, the cage is not very big. And I want to change that. And when i'm home, Im in my room so it's not like they are isolated becuase i'm always in my room. @bpatters

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
@GuineaPiggies7 Pros: bigger cage, more interaction with you (as you stated you are in your room more than anywhere else), you can monitor them better
cons: not as much interaction from other people, no air fresheners in your room at all

honestly I think that having them in your room, where you are the most, and with a bigger cage I believe is the best thing for them :) They will probably get handled more being closer to you as well! I remember when I was still living with my parents I was in my room 90% of the time :)

I didn't have room for piggies when I lived with my parents, I barely had room for a fish tank. However, now that I'm married and my husband and I have our own apartment I have all my pigs in the living room where I'm at the most. They are right in the middle of everything! They are located right in the living room, next to my office area and by the walkway to the kitchen :) It's all about where you will be the most and they will get the most interaction ^-^

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
@Lagertha Tnx so much! What about noise at night? My dad wants to know this :)

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
@GuineaPiggies7 Honestly the noise isn't that big of a deal :) my pigs only make REALLY loud noise when they hear me walk into the kitchen, open the fridge, or move a plastic bag because they know that all means veggies! The only other time they make lots of noise is when they are popcorning and doing zoomies, but even then they aren't that loud. You'll adjust quickly to it as well and it'll just become background noise to you!
I recently just separated one of my baby pigs from his mom and sister because he is 2 days from being 3 weeks old (sexually mature). He was wheeking REALLY loud all the first night and it didn't keep me up so I doubt normal piggy wheeking will make you lose sleep :)

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
Tnx so much ill be sure to show my dad this! :) <3

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
@GuineaPiggies7 no problem! I hope he allows you too, it sounds like it'll be better for both you and your pigs!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The noise depends on the pigs, on what they are bedded on, and how light a sleeper you are. Guinea pigs that are on pellets tend to be noisier than those on fleece. Some wheek and/or chirp in the middle of the night, other's don't. Some play with the water bottle at night, banging it into the cage. Others chew the bars. If you're a heavy sleeper you may not hear them. If you're a light sleeper, they'll keep you up.

The other issue is whether or not you have allergies. Even if you don't have a current allergy to hay, if you have other allergies, particularly respiratory ones, you may develop hay allergies.

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
I live with a roommate so mine are in my room because that's where I am when I'm at home. They definitely do still make noise at night, but just about the same noise they make in the day time. Water bottles clicking, hay rustling, pitter patter of little feet on coroplast. I sleep like a rock so it doesn't bother me at all. They only woke me up once and that was when Lacey (my very loud baby) heard her first thunderstorm at 6 am. If you have loud piggies and light sleepers in neighboring rooms that might be a problem, but it all depends on the house and family.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
During the 8 month school year my girls live in my bedroom. I live in a shared student house with 3 other room mates and my room is the only place that they can stay.

Personally I like them in my room, I spend almost all of my time in there on my computer or doing school work at my desk. Since it's a shared house I rarely spend time in the living room except for the odd time where I'll watch a DVD on the TV but we don’t have cable. So I'm pretty much in my room all the time except for when I'm cooking in the kitchen or I'm at class.

At night my girls are almost always very quiet, I think I've been woken up by them twice in the past couple years. One thing to note though is they will probably make a racket in the morning for veggies. My girls always start wheeking fairly early if they hear me stirring.

I would say if you spend a lot of time then it is probably not a bad idea but it's going to be up to you.

jrv4babies

Cavy Slave
I would recommend moving them into your room in the current cage so that you can live with that a little while and make sure it is working for you. If you invest in a larger cage first and then end up having any distrubances with them being in your room, you will probably have more challenges with your dad over that.

Also I tend to agree about the bedroom part...that usually it would be a recommendaiton to not put them in a bedroom or isolated room...except for a teenager because you are right about that, you are in your rooms all the time hahaha.

Good luck!

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
Pros & Cons of housing guinea pigs in your room

Hi!
***My dad wants to know the pros and cons of moving your piggie to your bedroom.*** Before you go ahead and answer, The reason we would be moving them to my bedroom is because of cage space. I would prefer my cage to be larger, we have two boars and when ever they pass each other in the cage they can't help but squabble and argue. I soon found out that our cage is much too small to house two boars.

Please take that into consideration ^^^
PLEASE answer as soon as you possibly can. Dad and I are depateing on the whole idea. I'm pretty determand due to the benifits of my piggies. A happy piggie is a healthy piggie.

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
Re: Pros & Cons of housing guinea pigs in your room

A pro is that you can give them more attention in your room because you will be in there at night and maybe most of the day.

pinky

Cavy Slave

They would probably get more attention from everyone if they were in a central location in your house. If you're busy with school activities, they'll be left alone. You'll probably spend the most time in your bedroom when you're sleeping and no one else in the household will probably spend much time in your room. My guinea pigs had been in my dining room when my kids were school age. Once they gradutated college and were on their own, I moved them to a spare bedroom where my computer is since that's where I spend most of my time. In my opinion, they should be in the room where they will get the most attention from everyone in the household.

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave

They will recive as much attention if not, more. And at the moment, the size of the cage overrides attention. (Even though they get more attention than I spend breathing) @pinky

aterriblefate

Cavy Slave
I 100% want my piggies in my room. But my dad wants to think about it and i dont blame him. It's his house. But what I was thinking to do is put a 3X4 Or 2X5 In the corner of my room. And put a rug/mat THEN ontop of that, a pice of lino then of course the C&C cage. What are the pros and cons of keeping them in your room? @Lagertha @aterriblefate

Pros: More interaction if you spend a lot of time in your room, protection from other pets and small visitors, a cage as big as you like, more monitoring, established routines of when you'll be in your room, less scary loud noises.

Cons: light sleepers may have trouble sleeping, the smell, less interaction from family members, hay ALL OVER the carpet.

The only two things I've had an issue with are the smell and the hay problem. The smell is only a problem if you go close to a week without changing their bedding (if using fleece). And the hay all over the carpet is the main problem for me, because my dad is a slob and when he feeds them it gets all over my CARPET.

Best of luck to you and your piggies! I really do recommend pigs in your room if that means they will get a bigger cage and more monitoring.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.