Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Help! I need Guinea pig experts advice on my elders Guinea pig!

Reeses

Cavy Gazer
Hi Everyone, two days ago my seven year old Guinea pig started acting strangely. She stopped squeaking when I walk by and purring when I pet her. She seems to be resting her head on the ground frequently. However her diet seems consistent to the way she's always acted and her poop looks normal. I've noticed a weight loss which seems strange because her diet is the same. She sneezes occasionally and sometimes has a little snot dripping down her nose. When I take her out of the cage she gives me 'kisses' but doesn't make a noise like she used to. I'm worried that since she is so old this might be bad. Does anyone have any advice that could help her return to her usual self? Please help my reeses! Help! I need Guinea pig experts advice on my elders Guinea pig!

Reeses

Cavy Gazer
*update*
I was worried that her teeth could be too long so I attempted to look at them. She didn't like it but I managed to get this very bad picture of them. I can not figure out if they are too long. Would this be causing her problems?Help! I need Guinea pig experts advice on my elders Guinea pig!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She needs a good exotic vet. ASAP. Weight loss is always a sign that needs to be checked out. Combined with sneezing and snot, and you've got a sick pig.

Seven is a very good age for a guinea pig, but many live much longer than that. I've just had a senior pig with pneumonia, and after treatment, she's doing fine.

Please get her to an exotic vet. Don't bother with a dog and cat vet -- they're not equipped to treat exotic animals such as guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits. etc.

Edited to add: Those are not symptoms of teeth being too long.

Reeses

Cavy Gazer
Thank you so much! I'm going to look for a vet to take her now hopefully she can pull through this!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.