Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Another sick piggy... possible pneumonia this time

Gamay Baboy

Cavy Slave
When it rains it pours... our hands are already full caring for Smokey but now our
beloved S'mores has fallen ill... :(

Another sick piggy...  possible pneumonia this time

Here are S'mores and Smokey at their vet visit first thing this morning. Smokey was mostly
just along for the ride though, since his condition is still stable from yesterday. Don't worry he
isn't dead in the picture! He is just sleeping... I think he felt some comfort with his friend by
his side...

S'mores stopped eating yesterday evening and his breathing became progressively more labored.
We did not notice he was ill until then because he seemed fine. He ate well and was active and
playful up to then. We weighed him last night and he had lost about 20 grams since the last time
we weighed him a couple days ago.

Vet examined him and did some x-rays and found what looked like fluid in his lungs. Gave him
an injection of Baytril and vitamin C and also some fluids since he had been refusing food and water
since last night. Doctor said if the antibiotic can make some progress on the infection he should
regain some interest in food. But for now he is putting all his energy into breathing and has no
interest.

That has us very concerned though... he stopped eating 24 hours ago, and since then we have
only been able to get a very small amount of critical care into him. He aggressively resists any
attempt to put anything in his mouth. I got some in him this afternoon but noticed later that he
spit some of it back out. He did poop a couple times and peed once so I guess that is good, but
we need to get food into him asap. He is EXTREMELY uncooperative and we are lost now for
how to get it in him. We thought Smokey was a bad patient at times but S'mores raises that bar
to a new level.

Smokey is doing OK today, he ate a lot and his weight is stable but he still seems weak. But we
are really worried about S'mores now.

Does this sound like pneumonia? I searched around a bit and seems some of his symptoms could
also point to heart trouble...

More likely to be pneumonia than heart trouble. But you've GOT to get food into him -- guinea pigs that don't eat go into GI stasis, and that's a true medical emergency. Read https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html, and there's a link to video on how to do it. He won't like it, and it's called force feeding for a reason. But you've got to do it -- there's really no choice.

Give it a go, and post back here if you have problems.

We have already read that page many times... :(

He is soooooo uncooperative that it is nearly impossible to get anything into his mouth and when we do
he doesn't seem to make the chewing motions indicating he is swallowing. What is the technique to
overcome that? It seems if we get it in there he doesn't swallow and just spits it out later...

It is too late... we just lost him :( :(

I'm so sorry he didn't make it. He was a beautiful piggy.

Oh no! I'm sorry for your loss, that's so sad.

I'm sorry. He was a beautiful pig

Oh no, so sorry for you loss. :(((

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope Smokey gets better

Thanks everyone... this has been such a terrible couple of weeks :(

I had a feeling the end was near when I looked at him a few minutes ago and his breaths
were coming further and further apart. I guess he just couldn't do it anymore. :(

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I had the same situation with my Peanut Butter, hers was a heart condition and a collapsed lung. She brightened my life for 2 months. When they stop eating, they stop for a reason. They are done and can not go on any more.
May S'mores and PB popcorn together over the Rainbow Bridge and memories make you smile and take away the pain.
HUGGGSSSS

When they stop eating it's time to force feed. I had a scare with my girl last spring. Due to antibiotics treating her URI she stopped eating. She needed to be fed critical care every 2 hours. I tried for one night and food was all over the place rather than in her stomach. I finally bit the bullet and had my vet take her for as long as it took to do it for me. It took 10 days and over 1K later for her to be eating again. There was a time where we thought it wasn't looking good. I think if I hadn't taken her to have the vet do it for me, Mooshy wouldn't be here. It's hard with a very uncooperative pig especially when you are alone. It took 2 hands to hold her in the towel and hearing her drrrrrrrrrr mixed with cries on top, there was no way I could do it. My vet saved her life by taking her 24/7 for 10 days.

Sadly I think food was the least of his problems... filling his belly wouldn't have saved him :(

We will miss him soooo much :(

his "baby" picture the day he joined our family:

Better times... mommy with S'mores, Smokey and Snickers

He gave us lots of joy and will remember him fondly but it hurts to lose him so suddenly

We feel like we missed something and failed him...

:(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.