Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives What do you think of thier cage?

Guinsisters

Cavy Slave
What do you think of thier cage?Hi everyone,
Here is a picture of Daisy and Cress's home. Do you think it is big enough, and are there any improvements I could make? I know some of you may be worried about it being outside, but dont worry because when it is cold the guineas go inside :)

it's a great way to mow the lawn! hahaha... yes it sure looks big enough :D

That looks nice! And they have unlimited hay for less than a dime!

The point is not only when it gets cold, what happens when it's too hot? Guinea pigs are very sensitive to heat and can easily experience heat stroke.

Then there's all the predators/poisonous insects and spiders you have to worry about. A small but deadly spider could easily make itself into that cage and kill all of your pigs.

Pigs that are outside almost always never get the same amount of attention as the pigs that are kept inside. You'd be later to find out about a medical issue that could kill one of them than those of us who have "inside pigs".

I strongly recommend you bring them inside. You could even make alterations to that cage and use it in your house.

Why does everyone always have to be super negative about someone.

People come to this forum looking for help on the proper care of guinea pigs.

Don't take it personally, I don't even know the OP. This thread was about their cage, and those are my opinions. I care too much about the animals involved to sugar coat anything in an attempt to protect their feelings. I said nothing out of line. I gave facts and my opinions.

You interpreted them negatively, when in fact they could be taken into consideration and used in a very positively manner.

If you have a problem with my posts, you should report them, it's much more effective.

The point is not only when it gets cold, what happens when it's too hot? Guinea pigs are very sensitive to heat and can easily experience heat stroke.

Then there's all the predators/poisonous insects and spiders you have to worry about. A small but deadly spider could easily make itself into that cage and kill all of your pigs.

Pigs that are outside almost always never get the same amount of attention as the pigs that are kept inside. You'd be later to find out about a medical issue that could kill one of them than those of us who have "inside pigs".

I strongly recommend you bring them inside. You could even make alterations to that cage and use it in your house.

Thank you, I appreciate your concern. :)
Where we live in the world, it does not get hot very often and when it does, the guinea pigs come inside to prevent heat stroke etc. In fact, they spend most of the year inside because it is too cold. If it is sunny, we use covers that provide shade and move these around according to the sun. There are no poisonous insects where we live or snakes because of the climate. The hutch is in view of the house and I check the guinea pigs several times a day and hold them. I check through thier fur once a day for mites etc and check their nose, mouth, ears, eyes and bottoms for any problem. There are four of us so they get attention regulary and are well loved. <3

Hey, hey, HEY. @PiggieGuinea she is attempting to help this person. They don't see all the dangers, just the positives. This person believes that they are being well taken care of, with plenty of fresh grass and room to romp. They said the pigs would be taken inside when it is too cold.

I would've said the same thing, but maybe thrown in a little compliment like "I love your cage though!" (which I really do :D)

Let's all be friends and be nice to each other. We can all lend a helping hand to one another instead of making uncalled for public posts. If you really had an issue, why didn't you message her instead of making a big deal about it in public?

You're all my best friends, let's keep it chill, okay? No mean comments :) I love you all! <3

EDIT: It took me so long to type that I didn't see everyone else's posts! But my opinion is still the same :)

Guinisisters: I am sorry to say I agree with 2198lindsey....it is an absolutely beautiful cage, but it really shouldn't be outside if the piggy is to be safe and feel more like a part of the family. There have been several threads on this subject, as well as heartfelt regrets, from those who did not heed the warnings and lost their lovely piggies in very tragic ways.

From what I can tell, the forum is designed to give experienced help to those who seek it. This is a public forum so it is not going to be a one-sided opinion. You will get a variety of opinions here. I try to decipher the facts/knowledge...and ignore the feelings on how they were expressed, so I can be sure I am making the best decision for my piggies.

You are free to accept or ignore any and all comments. But if you do post something, you will have to expect all sorts of responses. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a long and loving friendship with Daisy and Cress :)

Right? There's always some one who has to always think badly.
Once again, you should report my posts if you don't like them. These forums are to help people, not spread drama. I've been around here for a while and have found that actually helping people rather than trying to step on egg shells to not offend them is the best method. Sorry if you don't agree, but maybe you should try messaging me next time rather than littering threads with drama.

@PiggieGuinea I appreciate your view, and prehaps some people would be offended by comments like that. However don't worry because I want to have everyone's point of view so that I can make the best decision which is based on more than one persons opinion. @2198lindsey is probably a caring person who wants the best for everyone's piggie. But thank you, and thank you everyone and as @cavykaitlyn said, I love you all!

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Guinea pigs are domesticated so far from their wild ancestors & are extremely fragile, the only appropriate environment for permanent housing is safely inside. They can't cope with drafts, temperature changes, heat & cold (anything above or below 65-75F/18-24C can be harmful, especially when it comes to heat stroke). You are not around 24/7 to check the temperature or come rushing home & they can't tell you when they are uncomfortable, and it can quickly become deadly.

Many, many pigs die each year because they were housed outside & were killed, stolen & tortured or poisoned. Because when pigs are housed outside they are sitting prey for any predator, insect or human idiot passing by, and they are much more prone to illnesses.
And when they are housed outside, you won't be able to catch the subtle signs and/or sounds to catch an illness early on when you just go out to quickly check on them, and once you do it may be too late. It's a "chore" to walk out to them vs when they are housed inside & you pass by their cage & automatically take notice of their behavior, antics & can enjoy them much more.

Because it's about the welfare of these animals & spreading correct information and encouraging proper care, not about praising the owners or stroking their ego. There are other forums for that.

It is a beautiful cage. :) I would use it for playtime for myself because Indiana weather is like a bipolar 2 year old. Raining then blasting sun then snowing then crazy windy then (etc, etc etc) and that could cover just a DAY. So far I haven't been able to see what mine are like outside cuz I don't have a playpen. Is this made of chickenwire? Or something with smaller holes?

Do you think it would be a better idea if:
Daisy and Cress were outside for some of the day, so that they can have lots of exercise and fun and eat the grass, but they were brought in at night and some of the day. What do you think?
And everyone, people are just giving me constructive criticism, which is useful and helpful.

Daisy and Cress were outside for some of the day, so that they can have lots of exercise and fun and eat the grass, but they were brought in at night and some of the day. What do you think?
And everyone, people are just giving me constructive criticism, which is useful and helpful.
I'm trying to understand why they can't get the same exercise and fun inside as they do outside. You can literally alter that cage and use it inside, it's plenty big enough. The point of the cage sizes is so that guinea pigs can get exercise on their own time. Why can't they just be inside all the time? My pigs only get outside time when their fleece is in the washer. As long as they get vitamin D from sunlight then they don't HAVE to go outside.

I'm sure they will enjoy some outside time when the weather is nice, just make sure you supervise them. I know my pigs love it when I sit with them during outside/floor time. :) And on other days you can always bring grass inside for them, just make sure their cage meets the minimum size recommendations.

What do you think of thier cage?

Thanks!! I'll try to find some like that and whip up a playpen before Indiana decides to start dumping snow on us :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.