Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Calcium in urine

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I've noticed my pig (not sure which) has had some calcium in their urine. Not a lot, just a couple spots of white on the fleece. It's not a constant thing. I think the problem was that I accidentally fed my pigs spinach and then romaine two days in a row. It appeared after that. I normally space it out more. I have cut out the green leafy veggies for now to see if the issue clears up. Is calcium in the urine an automatic call for a vet visit? He is acting totally normal. Eating fine and playing. There is no blood in the urine either. Is it safe to wait a couple more days to see if it clears up?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I would say that it doesn't warrant a vet visit. I've dealt with this problem with my piggy George and after revising his diet to a low-calcium one and switching pellet brands to a pellet that doesn't use calcium carbonate, it completely cleared up.
Romaine can cause some pigs to excrete calcium, nobody really knows why though.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
One of my pigs had a calcium problem but when I took the romaine out or lessened the amount he was fine.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I will revise the diet then and see if that helps! Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.