Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the Community

Doug Stevens

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,
I stumbled across this forum and found a lot of wonderful information. I just want to introduce myself and say hello. I recently became the pseudo parent of two rambunctious guinea pigs. My 13 yr old son had been begging me for a pet and i remembered how much fun owning a pig was when i was his age.

My name is doug and i live in Missouri. I wish i knew about adoption and rescue before I acquired two female pigs from a local family owned pet Store. Needless to say i just recently purchased two lovely females that we named Rose and Violet. Tonight while spending some time acclimatizing them to their new family i think our violet is pregnant. I say this because violets Teats are elongated and exposed, she is shaped like a pear, and rose keeps nudging violets backside. So as well as introducing myself i am asking for some advice.

Since they are new to our household we have been giving the a wet tail preventative supplement, in order to reduce stress on them we are trying to keep their diet the same as what they were eating. We are currently feeding them Sun Fun Guinea pig food (same food the pet store was feeding them), fresh timothy hay daily, and we have them housed in a Living World Medium sized cage.

Any advice you all can give me to make sure all goes well for our little violet would be greatly appreciated.

Our plans for the babies are to donate them to our local middle school. They have a program where middle school students are tasked with caring for them during the school year and during summer breaks the children are allowed to adopt them and care for them during the summer. The school supplies the food and bedding so there are no out of pocket expenses for the families and it helps teach the children about caring for animals. Now these plans may change after my wife sees them :D

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!
I haven't had experience with pregnancies so I'm of no use there, really. You might want to make sure that both of your piggies are actually females: https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

Guinea pigs can't get wet tail, it is a hamsters' disease. (And piggies don't have tails.)
I'm sorry to inform you that the food you're feeding isn't good for piggies. Anything with nuts, seeds, and colored bits are bad. Piggies under 6mo. should get unlimited plain alfalfa based pellets and piggies 6 mo. and over should get 1/8-1/4 cup of plain Timothy pellets per pig per day. Some highly recommended brands are KMS, Oxbow, and Sweet meadow.

They should also get 1 cup of veggies per pig per day. Most people feed half in the morning and half in the evening. Here's a great nutritional chart to help you pick which veggies to feed: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22156

Sadly, most all pet store cages are too small for one, let alone two, guinea pigs. Two piggies need at least 10.5 sq ft of inside cage space. Have you considered making a C&C cage? They give plenty of room and ventilation and are usually cheaper than store-bought cages.

Please don't donate the babies to a middle school. They more than likely won't be taken care of very well and the kids may not handle them properly. Since the school would be supplying the food and bedding, there's no guarantee that they'll be getting fed healthy food or kept on healthy bedding either or in an appropriately sized cage.

Doug Stevens

Cavy Slave
thank you for the advice. I'll definitely take your advice and swap out food and look at some cage options. i'll also find a good home for the young ones if we do not keep them

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.