Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Cavy owner!

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Hello all! We recently became owners to two beautiful little female piggies as of three days ago!! :) They're currently in a store bought cage (this one: (broken link removed)) but I am in the process of purchasing a 2x4 C&C cage right this moment :) We aren't sure on what their ages are yet (anyone know how to determine that??) but we know that one is an Abyssinian and the other is an American. I have their cage currently turned into a trio-level with cardboard walls so they don't jump down/fall and get hurt, but only one will go up and down it.. I made them a fleece bottom with a bit of bedding in the corners and in their huts. There are two igloos in there (one store bought and one homemade cardboard box. They'd rather stay in the cardboard one hehe I've been doing tons of research over the past year to make sure we're doing everything right...well, besides buying a C&C right away, I actually just heard about them :/ ...but now that they're here, I feel like I don't know anything at all. So any advice you can throw my way would be awesome!

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
First of all, pigtures are an unspoken requirement here ;)

About their age, you should take them to a good cavy savy vet in your area. That's probably the only way you can get an accurate guess at their age.

Welcome from me and my three girls, I hope this forum will turn into something as good for you as it has been for me. :grouphug:

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
I'm still trying to figure out how to upload pictures but this is the best that I have at the moment. New Cavy owner! How do I find a find an "exotic" vet in my area? Most of them don't take more than cats and dogs :(

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
They are very cute! You came to the right place! There is a gold mine of knowledge here! Congrats on your new addition to the family!

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
I just looked through the first link and found a vet about 15 minutes from us!! I'm going to call today and ask a few questions to make sure they truly know what they're talking about before I make an appointment. I was reading their website and they say they require all of their patients to be spayed/neutered, do my guineas NEED spayed/neutered? We don't plan to breed ever or to get a male guinea so I'm just curious.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I will definitely be looking through all of the forums and hope I find answers to questions I may have in between :)

NormaS

Cavy Slave
Hi! Welcome to the forum. Beautiful girls. If you are sure you have two females you don't need to spay them. Spaying has a higher risk than neutering and in your case it is not needed.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Yes, as soon as we got them I sexed them! I had to be sure lol I am calling to get them into the vet today so hopefully they'll get in soon. Are they like cats/dogs and needs shots, etc? Thank you :)

NormaS

Cavy Slave
No, they don't need shots. Just a general check up and if you suspect mites, then treatment for that.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Oh okay. Wasn't sure if that was a dumb question or not but figures I'd ask anyway. Is there a forum for all the gp lingo anywhere?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't need to be spayed or neutered if they're housed with pigs of the same sex and don't have any medical problems which require it. They also don't get immunizations.

There are some good articles on the main page of this site and at Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit. You can also read through the stickies at the top of the forums and find some good information. Other than that, ask if you see something you don't understand.

Lishar

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! :D

I have learnt so much here, i'm sure you will to!

glitterfae77

Cavy Slave
Welcome! You have gorgeous piggles :)

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to this amazing forum! Your piggies are super cute :)

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
I could use some help. Not sure where to post so starting here as I already have this thread. One of the girls we got passed 6 days after getting her. We were very uneducated about ramps via the pet store we got her from and she'd jumped off of it. I took it out immediately and researched ramps. Which I found out was a bad idea unless certain measurements were taken. Well we got two more piggies from the same store (yes, I realize now that pet stores are a no no here but they're healthy and doing great so please no crap) Anyway, one of the newest little ones is really scared and whines a lot. If I hold her then she is fine and does the happy squeal. Is there anything I can do for her until she adjusts? Also, I heard someone mention treating for mites monthly..is that needed? If so, what brand is best? Sorry so long, just nrdx advice. I can't stand hearing her cry. She is so little, I'd guess maybe 3 or 4 months, not much older.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She really needs a buddy. If you'll post the name of the nearest city to you, we'll try to help you find one.

I'm sorry you lost your piggy.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
She really needs a buddy. If you'll post the name of the nearest city to you, we'll try to help you find one.

I'm sorry you lost your piggy.

We bought a baby with her. We have three females. Does she need a buddy? If so, I'm near Middletown, Ohio. She has scars and tears on her ears as well as a missing toe nail on her back right foot which makes me think she was bullied before :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's got a buddy, she should be good to go. If her ears are scarred, she was likely housed with other pigs in too small a space.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.