Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated i think i've researched to much,lol plus i need help!!!

jaggedrande

Cavy Slave
hello, i am all new to the forum and pretty new to owning guinea pigs. i did do research on them like what they need and so before getting one. but now that i have 2 and one has a fungal thing on his face i have been doing so much reading, and i am scared that i will always be dealing with some type of skin problem . i am hoping i am wrong and it's just a once in a blue moon thing and we can enjoy them, right now the kids are not allowed to pick them up, i have been cleaning out cage every other day and have just put paper towel in the cage so that no fungus can live. also another question, since the fungus on the face the side that it is on the eye and been somewhat closed is that normal for a face fungus??????? please need some reassurance. :eek:hmy:

What you need, if the fungus is in/around the eye, is a vet. Paper towels won't kill a fungus, nor will it keep one from living.

If they have a fungus, what you need to do is get them treated or treat them yourself, wash everything washing in the cage, including the cage itself, in hot water and bleach, and throw away everything that can't be washed that way. You should be very careful handling them, as most fungi are very contagious, and you may wind up with it. Change clothes after handling them, and put the ones you just took off in the washing machine, wash in hot water, and dry on hot.

Everything washable will have to be washed every day until you get the fungus under control, which will be several days after it looks like it's cleared up.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/search_fungus.html for more information on how to treat it. Also, it would help if you could post a picture of it here -- we'd be better able to help you figure out what it is.

Have you been to a vet with the pig?

he is being treated, with fungul cream, plus i have been washing out the cage with a bleach mixture,i have two cages so i have been switching them and bleaching the other one.luckly have no wood pieces yet so it's just a hut, ( i've been washing that to).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.