Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Saved my first piggie, and new to being a piggie family

Jenae

Cavy Slave
Hello!

My family just adopted (saved is more like it) our first piggie. He doesn't have a name yet, as the name he had was also the same name as the corgi we had to have put down about a year ago (Jack). Long story short, I don't know anything about being a piggie parent/family, but I didn't feel comfortable with the conditions he was living in (4 year old was the only one really handling him, and the parents seemed surprised at that she had gotten bitten, and they seemed annoyed at him more than anything, so we told them that we'd take him).

I've been reading everything I can up on piggies (or cavies as I have learned).

Thanks! I've been trying to take it all in! What starts out as reading a link or a thread turns into an hour later, 5 windows open, and several notes of stuff to look into later, this seems to be a great place for tons of information.

Hi welcome to the forum! Yes this place is awesome for information, although it can seem overwhelming at first. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I know when I first got a piggy and registered here there was just too much info at once, and it all seemed to get jumbled in my head. Trust me save yourself some time and just ask lol.

Welcome to the forum! It's great that you took the piggy in. There's tons to find out here, I bet you will be a great piggy parent!

glad you saved that piggy.. a summary of the basics would be
- getting (adopt!) a fellow piggy (a younger male, if you dont want to neuter him!)
- bigger cage = better
- hay,good pellets, 1 cup of vegetables a day
- be prepared that boars require abit more care :D i've read that they can smell abit.

Welcome, if you want to know all there is to know about Guinea Pigs, your in the right place! When I got Lily, I had no idea about them! but i've learnt so much. Ask as many questions as you want... Even if they seem obvious, just to make sure, ask! Sure you'll love it on here. Very happy about how you got your Guinea Pig! Adopting them or saving them as what you put it is always the best option! Would love to see a photo of this little cutie:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.