Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to this forum

noelformosa

Cavy Slave
Hello friends, I am from the island of Malta. I have 2 male and 2 female guinea pigs. My daughter Named them Pompoms, Pompomino, Chloe and Beauty. I bought the female pigs a couple of weeks ago and was told that they might be pregnant. If any one of them is pregnant she is only in her first weeks so we still have some time to wait for the young ones.

I am going to post another thread in another section about Guinea pigs as animals for pet therapy, I would appreciate your input in this matter.

Thank you all from the beautiful island of Malta:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! We'd love to see pictures of your pigs.

If you plan to house them all together, please separate them now and get the males neutered -- guinea pig breeding is a risky business, and there are plenty of reasons not to do it. Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit has a good article about it.

About pet therapy, I'm not at all sure that a guinea pig is an appropriate animal for that. Maybe for a very select few people, but there are other animals that are much friendlier and cuddlier, and far less skittish and shy than guinea pigs. They're completely adorable, but mine much prefer to be left alone in their cage and to interact with me from there rather than being held and cuddled. They're also not really suitable as pets for small children. I don't know what you have in mind as "pet therapy," but I'd suggest some other critter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.