Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

i need advice about my mean guinea pig

Dakotah Ford

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I got my guinea pig Snowball about 7 months ago and i got her when she was 6 weeks old.. she was very cute an sweet and smaller than the others... shes an albino... about a month after i got her she got fungi on her face.. i took her to the vet and got medicine and it cleared up in about 2 weeks so thats the worst thing that has happened to her.. but about 2 to 3 months after i got her she started being very aggresive and mean.. i usually give her about 30 to 45 minutes of floor time everyday..she gets unlimited hay and endless about of treats and food... plus all the affection i try to give her.. but i cant pet or hold her or even stick my hand in the cage without her biting me and drawing blood.. im at my wits end and im at the point where i dont even wanna take her out of the cage... i dont know what to do anymore. I tried blowing in her face and when that didnt work i would lightly tap her on the nose.. nothing works.. and when i do let her have floor time ill sit down with her and she will crawl on me or next to me and spray me with pee.. one time she even got mad at me and bit me when i wouldnt let her pee on me... i dont know what to do and i need advice bad..

Hi. Does she scratch a lot? Guinea pigs that have mites often have issues where they hate being handled because it is really painful. Have you treated her for mites? Other then that I am at a loss as to why she would be doing this. I am sure someone else with more experience will be along to answer. Gl hang in there!

Has she been treated for mites?

yea we checked her for mites and she doesnt have any... :( i dont know what to do

How did you check?

when she got fungi on her face the vet checked for mites and fungi.. i dont know how she did it but they said she didnt have mites.. and she doesnt really scratch often...

Didn't you go to the vet several months ago? She might have got mites since the last time she was there.

i guess it wouldnt hurt to have her checked again.. but i dont think that would be the problem.. she doesnt really scratch and if she has mites that would rule out the biting but why is she peeing on me lol

Vets can't really check for mites because they can't be seen. They can do skin scrapings, which are very painful for the pig, but half the time the pig will still have mites even if the test comes back negative. Mites burrow into the skin and make a pig VERY cranky, which is reason enough for her to bite you if you try to touch her. And it sounds very much to me like your pig has a bad case of mites. I'd either insist on treatment from the vet, or I'd treat her myself. See https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html for information about that, and follow the ivermectin links for how to dose her.

But something else you said worries me:

one time she even got mad at me and bit me when i wouldnt let her pee on me

What do you do when she pees on you? And how do you try to keep her from doing that? Guinea pigs are pee and poop machines because of the way their digestive tracts function, and they have to pee very frequently. Most of us put a folded towel or a pad in our laps when we're holding them. Some pigs will gently nip at you when they want to be put down, and often they want down because they have to pee.

But if you're punishing her in some way for peeing you, she may be biting in retaliation. Guinea pigs are very gentle and docile animals, and they don't bite just to be biting. Something is wrong somewhere.

well its best to rule out anything that could be causing it.. do you know if shes ever had pups befor? Ovarin cysit could also cause meaniss.

I will take her to the vet and have her treated for mites asap just in case.

About the peeing thing.. yea i put a towel down and i sit next to it and i put a towel on my lap because she always wants to be in my lap. When i do that she will bite and move the towel or try and crawl up me to get off the towel and then she will pee on me. One time when i had her out she didnt pee or poop the whole 30 minutes i had her out, and then i picked her up to put her back in the cage and she peed on me when i was holding her.

When she is on the floor and she tries to crawl on me i lightly put my hand in front of her and kind of move her and then she will start churping and then attack me. Another time i was laying down next to her and she tried to eat my hair so i moved my hair and tried to push her away and she attacked my face :(

Last edited by a moderator:
oh and no she has never had pups ..

sometimes when she isnt biting me and i pet her she purrs.... would she still purr if she has mites?

If you haven't treated her for mites, there's a good possibility she has them. Scratch tests are painful so when they show symptoms, best thing to do is treat for mites. She might also be reacting to the way you treat her. Blowing in her face and tapping her on the nose will make her afraid of you. Positive reinforcement works for guinea pigs. Negative reinforcement will only make her dislike you or fear you. How are you petting her? Guinea pigs don't like being pet hard nor on their rumps. Purring is usually a sign of annoyance or dominance. Guinea pigs show dominance by mounting the others. If you pet her on the rump, she might think you are trying to be dominant with her and she's letting you know she doesn't like it. They make more of a cooing sound when they're content or happy.

There is a PLEASURE purr. Then there is a "burr" that says, leave me alone.

It is very hard to tell the difference. But if your pig has a relaxed look, "pancakes" out or just looks in utter pleasure, then that would be a purr. My girls often burr if I pet their bum.

OP, taking your pig to the vet to find mites isn't necessary. There is only 50/50 chance of them finding the mites. Just purchase some Ivermectin and begin treatment. It will not harm her if she doesn't have any mites.
https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

ya when she purrs she flattens out and closes her eyes.. i didnt think it ment she was annoyed and i will do that right away thank all of you for your advice it was much needed oh and i have one more question.. she also sneezing quite often.. is that normal

ya when she purrs she flattens out and closes her eyes.. i didnt think it ment she was annoyed and i will do that right away thank all of you for your advice it was much needed oh and i have one more question.. she also sneezing quite often.. is that normal

Sneezing can be caused by a number of things

Most often is bedding and hay dust. What are you using for bedding and hay?

I agree, negative reinforcement really won't do anything. If my pig does something I don't appreciate, we have a conversation. Call me crazy, but sometimes I think it works.

i use timothy hay and use carefresh natural bedding. She is very picky on her bedding. if i put colored bedding in her cage she will role around and move it all to one corner or go in her house (i dont put bedding in her house cuz she doesnt like to sleep on bedding) and wont come out, so i have to use brown bedding. Even though it says dust free it is a little dusty.

Last edited by a moderator:
and i quite blowing in her face or tapping her nose cuz it didnt work.. i agree its not good but i didnt know what else to do

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.