Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

advice please

kat

Cavy Gazer
I just got a wonderfully smart calm guinea pig, I'm new to guinea pigs. I bought just one and bought all stuff, have, logs, chews, veges pellets, run, lots of toys and he was spoiled. I carried him around with me. I only had him two weeks and i found him dead. He was spoiled with everything, expect a mate, which i read later they should have a mate, He was a baby in the back as he had had an upper raspatory infection, black with long hair sooooo adorable. I still do not know what went wrong. I introduced him carefully and slowly to my amazingly sweek dogs, i have 4. My dogs were great with him and we all relaxed together. Little ragga ruffin ( i named him) was so docile and ate lots of veges. I hope i did not spoil him so much he died as he had plenty of pellets, hay and chews. Please let me know what may have gone wrong. I am an adult female who has had many pets and pets are not just animals they become part of my family and he was uily loved by all, we do not nknow what went wrong. Not sure i want to do this again but i boush so many items but too sad. l advise.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I’m so sorry you lost your little guinea pig. It sounds like you tried very hard to give him a good home.

Upper respiratory infections are very serious, and it’s possible he had not fully recovered or had other health issues.

It is also possible it had something to do with him being around dogs. Guinea pigs should never be in contact with dogs. Dogs carry bordatella virus, and although the dogs may stay healthy, the virus is deadly to guinea pigs. Also, dogs can get excited and play rough. Guinea pigs are defenseless and easily injured.

You have my condolences.