Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training made piggie a hay box but he is using it to poop in

sakee

Cavy Slave
my piggie really seems to enjoy foraging around in a box of hay versus the hay rack. I made him a coroplast hay box and put it under his rack. I noticed that he is pooping and peeing in there, but still eating the hay. This doesn't sound too healthy; is this bad? It sounds like maybe he would be easy enough to train if he likes the box, but I would still like him to have a hay box to play in. do I need to take it away?

Thanks!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Just clean it out and freshen the hay. I use hay bins and they jump in sometimes so I always clean it out once a day. The whole box won't be soiled and they'll pull out the fresh parts. They're foragers. If you keep it in a hay rack and it falls on the ground, they'd still eat it.

Nix16

Cavy Slave
mine do that too, I just put paper cat litter under the hay and let them go for it, I change the hay each morning after spot cleaning. Considering they eat their own poop anyway I don't think its a problem, the hay just might get a bit soggy if there is nothing absorbent under it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I shred paper and put a thin layer under the hay and it absorbs urine if they pee in there. Since I change it each day, it's never really wet; just damp in some spots. It's easier to clean if you put something under the hay like @Nix16 saidk.

sakee

Cavy Slave
sounds easy enough, thanks

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i have my hay in a cat littler box with a fleece/uhaul pad underneath. i change the pad every couple of days, and shake it out to re freshen everything twice a day. they may eat their poops, but my understanding is that they really don't like to eat hay soaked with pee.

there's often a good deal of wasted hay in set-ups like this, but it's worth it for me and my boys.

sakee

Cavy Slave
i have my hay in a cat littler box with a fleece/uhaul pad underneath. i change the pad every couple of days, and shake it out to re freshen everything twice a day. they may eat their poops, but my understanding is that they really don't like to eat hay soaked with pee.

there's often a good deal of wasted hay in set-ups like this, but it's worth it for me and my boys.

Do they only poop in the box now?

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
no only, but mostly. i still have to sweep their cages twice a day to keep it neat. they also tend to poo close to where they eat by the way.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I give the girls a hay pile in their floor time pen every day. I change up where I put it and how I serve it (sometimes loose on a flattened cardboard box, sometimes in a plastic tray, sometimes in paper bags, etc.), and no matter what, it becomes a pee and poop magnet. I think it's the hay, rather than the tray or whatever is below it, that attracts them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.