Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Owner Here

aamfarris

Cavy Slave
Hi Everybody,

I am a very new owner. I just received my two girls yesterday. While looking online and calling humane societies I came across a woman unable to care for hers anymore and that's how my girls came to fall in my lap. I read a lot about guinea both on this forum and other sites before deciding to adopt. They currently are in a pet store cage (its what the woman was using), but I am in the process of buying the Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat Cages. They are very similar to C&C cages, but without the work of making them!

I'm here on the forum looking for advice on how to tame and care for them and hopefully respect their bubbles so that they will trust me. :)

Also, they are not currently named! I've considered a few options that sound kind of cute.. :
Fiona + Cake
Pashmina + Penelope
Peach + Daisy
Eris + Calypso (My husband suggested this)

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. So you might have a easier time thinking of names I'll tell you a little about what they look/act like.
Looks:
They are almost identical (I assume they are sisters. I often refer to them as "My Twins"). They are both long haired and black with some brown highlights. The bigger of the two has what looks like a white mane and the younger guinea pig has just a tuff of white hair on her back.
Act:
The bigger sister is also the more dominant one and more often than not will run and hide if I come near the cage. She also purrs or growls? when I walk by the cage or pet her. The smaller sister is more friendly and will most often accept hay and pellets from my hands. Shes very docile and calm compared to her sister.

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

aamfarris

Cavy Slave
:eye-poppi I'm in a bit of a panic. I held the larger of the two for the first time and I believe she may actually be pregnant. Her stomach is quite large and its abnormally lumpy (not in a way I would expect a bloated pig to be). She shouldn't have a hurt tummy anyway. Her last owner gave me a bag of the food she had been feeding her.

I'm worried. I've never helped birth baby pigs before. :( I'm going to need more help than i thought and I need to get on top of this cage situation asap, just in case.

Here is a photo given to me by their last owner
0710121818.jpg

I checked the other sister to make sure it was in fact a girl. Although Im no vet, it was Y-shaped like most say they should look.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
They do look like twins! They look exactly alike from the pic!!!! So cute! My girls are like that, except the dominant one is more docile. I think their previous owners favored Chloe, the dominant one. :( That would explain why Emma is so skittish... You might have a similar situation on your hands...
Oh, my! Did the woman say that there was a male before? Or that she had 3 pigs at one point? Do you know when she got them?

I would take her to the vet, and see what they say. You'll want to call around and price shop if you haven't already done so... She might as well have a general physical, so this is the perfect time to bring her in

GUINEA PIG GURL

Cavy Slave
Omg they look exactly alike!!! Sooooo cute!

aamfarris

Cavy Slave
The woman told me that they were previously bought for her young cousin who was frightened of them so she took them in. She had only had them for 8 weeks she said before they ended up in my home. Thats about the length of a pregnancy isn't it? Could it be possible that shes pregnant?

I guess its vet shopping time.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Oh, goodness. They probably came from a pet store, so it's no impossible. Then again, the other should be pregnant, by that logic...

I used the phone book, and called around to all the vets in my area, and said, "Hi! I was wondering if you have an exotic vet who treats guinea pigs?" If they have a cavy savvy vet, say "Great! And how much would it be for a routine physical?". I called about 8 different vets, and finally found a great one for cheap!

aamfarris

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice :) Im still a little overwhelmed. I just feel bad for my little guinea. Shes in a new home and looks ready to burst from babies. She must be so stressed.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! And thanks for taking them in.

Turn them both over (be careful with the pregnant one) and make sure they're both females. If not, you'll need to separate them before the babies come. The sow can get pregnant immediately after giving birth, and that's very hard on a sow. Read Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig for more information.

Read www.guinealynx.info/labor.html and (broken link removed) for information on pregnancy and birth.

aamfarris

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure the other is female. I rechecked about 3 times now using references pictures. its quite hard to tell though. They look very similar when they are young.

The first night they were alone while I attended church and my friend was kidding saying they were probably partying. I jokingly said "I hope they don't become teen moms!" If I only knew!

aamfarris

Cavy Slave
The twins' names are officially Pashmina and Penelope. Pashmina's the pregnant one. We took them both to the vet and they are definitely both female and Pashmina is definitely pregnant and could give birth any day now. All there is to do now is wait and make sure she is well fed and comfortable. :)

Thanks for all the great advice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.